Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ancientechie

Ancientechie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 31 July 2004 - 12:05 AM

I have a small (10 gig) HDD and don't have enough room on the drive to run Commanders and Generals. I found a 30 gig for $29 and figured I'd just format it and copy the OS from the 10 gig.

I tried using Norton Ghost but it won't boot from the "new drive". Does it have something to do with being an "active" drive? Does Ghost not make it bootable?

I can read from the 30 gig when I use the 10 gig as master and the 30 gig as slave. But, when I try to use the 30 gig as a boot drive (primary master) the machine doesn't come up.

I've got a copy of Partition Commander from a friend. Will that do it? Is there another app that would be better? Free or not.

Thanks for your help.

Ancientechie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 12:16 AM

Welcome to the site Ancientechie.. Your running xp pro , so you can use the transfer wizard for your files but your going to have to reinstall xp. On the new drive. What ghost is doing is not seeing the numbers it was created with you might be able to partition it with 2 partitions and see if it will work on the extended partition. But I'm pretty sure an install is necessary

Edit: it looks like this will work! I dont kknow what kind fo restrictions it has though for the trial

http://www.softlandmark.com/PowerQuestDriveImage.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users