Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help In Manually Uninstalling Internet Explorer 6.0

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mcgovernmick

mcgovernmick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

Though I use Mozilla as my browser, I stupidly tried updating my older version of Internet Explorer in mid-December of 2004. Since then my computer has been racked with problems. It seems something went awry during the installation process (perhaps my Internet connection was interrupted?). Since then I have deduced that IE represents my bane & have thus tried unsuccessfully to uninstall it from my computer. The problem is twofold: 1) Going to my Control Panel, clicking the IE line & hitting Uninstall just brings up a box with various selections more or less telling me I cannot uninstall IE; 2) When I was about to capitulate by going to Microsoft's home page to just finish the installation thinking this might rectify the problem, I was told three times that I needed to restart my computer since an earlier attempt to install the latest version was not finished. When I restarted my computer three times, I got the same message. HELP! Does anyone know how I can manually uninstall Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1? I am thoroughly convinced this is the problem with my computer (& other problems with my Palm Pilot & uploading digital photos since things were running smoothly before I did this in mid-December)...Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:37 AM

:thumbsup: to BC mcqovernmick,

Have you found the path and tried to delete it that way?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:43 PM

Alas, since IE is part of your Windows operating system, you cannot install it and expect Windows to work. What is this means is that you have to keep it and also keep it patched, even though you seldom use it.
When you click on it in add/remove programs, there is an option to "repair," which you should attempt.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 mcgovernmick

mcgovernmick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:46 PM

I would have to be given explicit instructions as to how to accomplish this task...

#5 mcgovernmick

mcgovernmick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:48 PM

John:

The problem seems to be that the updated IE version was never fully installed. When I tried to finish this onerous process last night, it kept telling me I had to restart my pc. I did this three times with no luck.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:37 PM

Have you tried this yet:
How to Repair Internet Explorer 6
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 xposemncz

xposemncz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:12 PM

Hi mcgovernmick,

In order to completely remove IE.

1) Please open Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs.
2) Click on Add/Remove Window Components.
3) Uncheck the box before IE and click next and follow instructions to remove it.
4) If this does'nt help then Reopen Add/Remove Window Components and check the box for IE and reinstall it back using XP Disk and Reboot.
5) Once it is completely reinstalled, now repeat step 1-3

Regards,
XposeMncz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users