Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Processes Not Terminating On Exit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

I tried searching for the answer, but got frustrated so I just ask ya'll.
I'm on a recently new pc and noticed that certain programs do not terminate when I exit
them. Especially Adobe Acrobat is aggrivating. But I've never seen this before in a pc and
wondered if it is just a setting on this new system I need to change?
This happens whether I "X" out of the programs,
or use their 'proper' close buttons.

The processes manually terminate easily within task manager.
I don't have a running list of the programs,
but Acrobat, Nero and Total Video Converter are
three that I remember.

Thanks in advance.

ACPI Uniprocessor PC
XP Home Edition SP3
AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz 3800+
ASUSTeK A8V-MX motherboard
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP graphic card
Realtek ALC655 @ VIA AC'97 Enhanced soundcard
160 GB HD (140 GB free)
980MB RAM
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

Not sure what you mean. How can you exit without terminating?

You seem to have more to explain.

Louis

#3 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

I exit the program.
It disappears from the desktop, apparently has closed,
shut down, turned off, stopped running etc...

But then later in Task Manager I notice that the EXE is still running.
The program is still running.

So I have to manually "End Process" to terminate it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

OK, I understand.

What I suspect is happening...is that portions of those programs are running constantly...and you are mistaking that as the main app which you've closed.

Example: IE, your AV, and a number of other processes appear in Task Manager, running in the background. The AV runs 24/7 because it protects the system. IE runs 24/7 because it's integrated tightly into XP.

Adobe has a tendency to put something called Adobe Updater on systems...which runs constantly. I suspect that the same is true of each program you are concerned with.

Bottom line: If no CPU cycles are being used, there's probably nothing to be concerned about (IMO).

If a program in Task Manager is not reflected as open on the Applications tab, then I really don't consider that an "open program."

Louis

#5 aido

aido

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

I am not sure but the IE should not running at background process if you close the application. If this so , I belong its Injects by Malware.
I think you mean explorer.exe.

You check which programs running at startup with msconfig in the Startup List.

You can disable auto start programs with tools like Tune Up Utilities or autoruns from Sysinternals.

Start > Run > msconfig.

Edited by aido, 23 August 2008 - 07:18 PM.

#6 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

no, it's nothing to do with Start Up processes.
But for example, I just now checked, I simply opened
up Acrobat, then closed it, but 5 min later Acrobat.exe is still running.

I opened up Windows Media Recorder 12, then closed it,
but still worprmw.exe is still running.

And a newsreader I use called UseneXT,
the usenext.exe will not shut down.

This is a new computer, but all these are old programs I am well
familiar with I just reinstalled them onto this pc with the same settings.
They used to not behave this way.

I understand about silent processes running in real-time and I've used
Autoruns and Process Explorer. And I know how bulky Acrobat is and have
the updating turned off. There is a 'cleanup' process that runs after a PDF conversion, but then it shuts down along with the Acrobat.exe.

None of these should be running when I exit them. They never did before.
I am familiar with all these programs and they aren't behaving properly
on this new system. It's no big deal.
I just thought I might be overlooking something simple.

#7 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

I'm going to try this again because it is still doing it and it's irritating. Programs do not stop running when I close them, whether by the programs designated 'exit tab' or by clicking the 'X' to close, the program processes are still running in Task Manager and I have to manually end the process from there.

I'm pretty computer literate and have never seen this before. This is a new pc as well. I know it must be a simple setting I need to change, but I search and can't find the answer.

Anyways, I know some programs have processes that run in real time like Adobe has a ton of crap, or maybe a screen capture program, or video downloader etc...but these are programs like Paint.net, Total Video Converter, Ulead GIF Animator that should completely stop running when I exit them.

But Paint.NET is a good example of a process that keeps running even when I have exited the program. This is not right. Can someone help?

#8 JoshIAm

JoshIAm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:34 AM

Hi mate, just thought I'd let you know that I am having the same problem and it is beginning to give me the proverbial trots. I am a software engineer and this one has got me stumped. I thought it may be my use of autohotkey. Maybe you and I can compare the apps and processes we commonly run to see if we can find a catalyst....

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:10 AM

I know exactly what you are referring to as Adobe has been doing that to me ever since I got the latest version. I don't even have to open the actual program, just having a website open in pdf format or having their autoupdater run will do it. Their autoupdate will also start even when it is not set to be used. I have stopped the updater from running by having my firewall block the updater from running at all. I do not have this problem with any other program except for once in a great while lately IE sticks in the running process list, but not very often, and I only noticed it because it messes with my startmenu functioning correctly when I try to open another website from it. If I kill it in taskmanager and then reopen it and close it again, it does not still show. As for IE, I attribute that one to a webpage not closing out correctly and have stopped worrying about it when it happens, I just pass that one off to a glitch. The Adobe one I think is just part of their latest program and I doubt there is anything that can be done about it, since I really do not use the program I just kill it in the process list and don't worry about that one either.

I am clueless about the other programs you have doing that.

Actually, I just checked and opened the Adobe program and it does not do it when I close it out now that I do not let the updater run. The updater does try to run anytime the program is opened regardless of how it is opened so I am figuring the fact that it was sticking in my taskmanager was due to the updater. I am glad my firewall gives me the ability to block that from running.

Edited by Stang777, 23 April 2009 - 05:25 AM.

#10 JoshIAm

JoshIAm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hi Stang777. Those processes are designed in one way or another to be silent and in the background whereas my problem exists with processes that are supposed to be terminated when the program is exited. It happens with everything and after a while and eventually my system locks up because it is out of resources. When I say everything it will be programs that I typically open and close a lot because when I open taskmgr and sort by name I will have many occurrences of the same process for each time I have opened it and then closed.

I thought it might be AutoHotKey buggin out because it captures existing processes and prevents them from running twice so you can keep you favourite app running in the background and use shortcuts to foreground them as needed. I can't see anyone reporting that as an issue with the framework however.

Edited by JoshIAm, 23 April 2009 - 06:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users