Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64 Bit Vista Or Xp?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DRKdragon

DRKdragon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

I just built a computer. It has 4 gigs on it right now. Running 32 bit XP.

Which OS should I upgrade to?? 64-bit Vista or XP?
This pc will be mainly for gaming.

Whats the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

I would go with Vista. People still say how bad it is, but especially if you're going with 64-bit, Vista should be your choice. I don't know how true this is, but I've heard XP 64-bit is very buggy.

Also, with 8gb of ram, you shouldn't notice any sluggish performance using Vista compared to XP.

People may also say Vista has compatibility issues, but I haven't really seen any. All my games work fine, even older ones such as Starcraft, and Diablo. The only problem with 64-bit for either Vista or XP, is some peripherals may not be supported. I have Vista 64-bit and my old printer wasn't supported. This wasn't a big deal for me though. Also, the Iphone isn't supported either.

I believe you might as well go with Vista. It's newer, and costs around the same as XP, and Microsoft has fixed a lot of the problems it has.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 DRKdragon

DRKdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:13 PM

Wow. You have a good point. Thanks. I might run with Vista.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:59 AM

I'm a big fan of 64-bit. The Vista version of 64 is much more polished than XP 64, plus it has more compatible drivers and programs. Most mainstream peripherals work with 64-bit Vista so that is not much of a problem. The IPhone is now supported under Vista 64, so that's not an issue. I have a problem with my Sony EBook reader, I have to go through a convoluted install process to get it to work.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users