Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Reboot From Recovery Disk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ok1

ok1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hello this my first posting on this site.
Computer is an Evesham, running windows XP home edition. Asus A7V333 Mother board. WD 800BB hard drive.
Problem was a surprise, in that it worked one day next day it didn't. This coincided with the CMOS battery running low, time always needing adjustment. Battery was changed but computer would not load windows. Trying the repair console and pressing R at the Welcome to Set Up screen results in the message on a black DOS screen, " Path or file specified is not valid " if instead of R being pressed ENTER is this results in a list of partitions etc. and ends with thewords"Setup cannot access this disk"

How to Use This:
1) Read the first 3 pararaphs (don't need to do anything yet)
2) Scroll through the bolded items and locate your error message
3) Do the stuff after the -'s just below your error message.

Disk diagnostic and CHKDSK /F /R are common to all in order to rule out:
- physical disk problems and
- file system problems PRIOR to trying the fix.

You can download a disk diagnostic tool from the website of the hard drive manufacturer. If necessary you can download a bootable version of the diagnostic from there and boot from it to test your hard drive.

Recovery Console tutorial located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/
This is for the chkdsk, fixmbr, fixboot, and bootcfg commands if you can't get into Windows

Here's a link to an ISO of the XP Recovery Console if you don't have an XP CD. Search Google for "burn an ISO" (without the quotes) for tools and instructions on how to make a bootable CD. http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Common to several fixes
Black Screen Hang (before splash screen shows)
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R (try to boot)
- fixmbr (try to boot)
- fixboot (try to boot)
- Safe Mode (try to boot)

MBR
Invalid Partition Table
Missing Operating System
Error Loading Operating System
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- fixmbr (try to boot)

BOOT SECTOR
Disk Read Error occurred
NTLDR missing/compressed ( http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm )
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- fixboot (try to boot)

NTLDR
Boot Device is Inaccesible (boot.ini)
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- bootcfg /rebuild

System Hive is Corrupt
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- restore System Hive from backup

other File missing or corrupt
- Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R
- restore copy from backup

NOTE: I got a missing HAL.DLL error when I messed up rewriting a boot.ini file (in the default section) - so I'd suggest checking boot.ini for missing file errors (bootcfg /rebuild would attempt to fix this when in the Recovery Console)

NTOSKRNL.EXE
Black Screen Hang (after splash screen appears) (usually video driver)
- Last Known Good Configuration
- Safe Mode
- install/reinstall latest version of video drivers.

Please feel free to add recommendations for additions and deletions. Consider this a work in progress. :thumbsup:
Please do not post your problems/issues on this thread. It'll cause more work when I have to split your topic out of this thread and will delay receiving an answer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

Not sure what that excerpt is supposed to be...but your comments about the attempt to use Recovery Console...brings questions to mind.

a. How many partitions on this hard drive?

b. Did you consider the fact that your XP CD...may only install to a clean hard drive (just as my OEM versions of XP do)?

c. Can you get into your BIOS? Is the drive properly reflected in the BIOS?

d. Did you run attempt to run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive in question?

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:24 PM

As your disk is not detected, I'd first suggest a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. If it's a SATA drive you may also need to load the SATA drivers before running the Recovery Console (the F6 message at the bottom of the screen early on in the setup process).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ok1

ok1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

Many thanks for the replies. I have followed the advice and the diagnostics have said that I need a new hard drive as there are to many errors!

Thank you again for the swift and helful response.

#5 ok1

ok1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:52 AM

I have a couple more thoughts about my problem with the hard drive which you may be able to help with. Do you have any idea what might have caused the sudden failure of the disk? The diagnostic report simply stated that there were too many errors. Do you think this was physical damage i.e. the head contacting the disk or would it have meant corrupted files?

Also one of the options on the WD diagnostic disc was to fill disk with zeros. Is this a security procedure for disposing of the disk or could the disk be used again, starting from scratch, so to speak?

Thanks again.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

Hard drives are complicated little buggers with lot's of stuff inside that can go bad - so there's not usually a way to tell exactly what went wrong with them (at our level). A professional recovery service could probably tell you - but it'd likely cost more than a new hard drive.

Filling the disk with 0's will erase all data on the drive - filling it with 0's repeatedly will decrease the chance that anything can be recovered from it. But, with sufficiently sensitive equipment it's still possible to retrieve data. I can't recall if the US Government uses either 3 or 7 overwrites to meet it's standards - but it's a lot of time to spend!

Filling it with 0's will also destroy any viruses on it - so if the disk is otherwise healthy, then you'll be able to reuse it. But, once again, you don't know what caused the errors in the first place - so you'll be trusting your data to a drive that may crash again soon.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ok1

ok1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

Hello again,
Could you give some advice about buying a replacement hard drive?

Specifically help with the part number and what it means. The one I want to replace is WD800BB - 00CAA1. the last section after the dash seems to have an infinite number of variations when you look on some sites. Is this significant and should I match the number in every detail or is just the first part important?

Thank you.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

A replacement hard drive should be:
1) The same physical size as the old one (laptops are 2.5" wide, desktops are 3.5" wide
2) The same interface (IDE or SATA)
-IDE has a lot of little gold pins sticking out of the drive (laptops use adapters to cover this). IDE is also known as EIDE or PATA.
-SATA will have a large black and a smaller black connector (with gold pins inside of them)
3) At least as large as the hard drive that came with the system. XP with SP2 is required to recognize drives greater than 137 gB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users