Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JessicaH1009

JessicaH1009

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:36 AM

Yesterday I had Windows Defender pop up on my computer stating that I had a virus. It said (And I don't remember word for word) something about the virus it detected being serious,that I need to remove it and that it would cause pop ups. Below that it said something about "windows XP professional key.gen" and I seen Vuondo (I think is the spelling..)

At that point I quarantined it. As this windows defender scan was progressing suddenly my IE stopped working.. completely. I thought I would wait till the scan was over to try and that I would play World of Warcraft in the mean time. I opened the game and all of my "hotkeys" - which have pictures of the items you are using.Example: a weapon for the attack key, a bandage for first aid, ect.Well.. everything was wrong. Suddenly all of the pictures were odd pictures of things such as food or gems. I asked within the game if anyone else experienced this and everyone said never. At this point I decided to turn it off and let the scan conclude before doing anything else on the computer.

As the scan finished with "Scan successful" - trojan removed" finished I went to test my IE and nothing.. nothing would work at all. I couldn't open my programs - none of them, not virus scans, not IE, not even view more programs tab.

At this point I turned my computer over to my fiance to do the work since he is very good with computers. He worked on it till 4am and then came to bed to tell me that he didn't get it fixed. He tried to run virus scan in safemode but it would not work, it ran but at such a pase where it should have been well into 100,000 files and it was only at 16,000.

I would prefer not to wipe the computer out as I have a ton of (not backedup) family photos but if that is the only option then I will do it.

I'm sorry I don't have logs to show or more information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Prior to this this was a perfect computer. I did not download anything.. I don't know how this thing snuck in!

EDITto add- This is a Dell with Windows Vista. less than 1yr old. With McAfee, wireless, router and firewalled.

Edited by JessicaH1009, 23 August 2008 - 10:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gonefishin

gonefishin

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Have you tried doing a system restore moving your computer back a day or 2 . if not that might get ur internet working again at the very least .

Read u also have photos on ur computer . A good Idea would be to save all your photos onto a blank cd disk . Ive done this before . that way your pics are always safe . and you can also drag and drop the photos back onto ur computer as though they never left . if you have any type of cd burning program on ur computer then u should be able to burn images to disk . and one cd disk can hold a lot of images in the hundreds

Edited by gonefishin, 23 August 2008 - 01:30 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hello please try this. Sometimes removing malware destoys the Internet connection path.

Go to Start > Run and type cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type this into the dos window: netsh winsock reset
hit enter.

Now reboot, hopefully you can connect now.

Edited by boopme, 23 August 2008 - 03:11 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 JessicaH1009

JessicaH1009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:09 AM

Just want to say thanks for the help. My fiance fixed it later that same night.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

Thank you for letting us know :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users