Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Has A Virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jazzpolice

jazzpolice

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:50 AM

Hi

I have (to the best of my knowledge) only had a bad computer infection once before - about 3 yrs ago. Then I installed Panda Security which did a great job and I have subscribed to Panda ever since and have even sung its praises to others. About a week ago things started going wrong and my version of Panda Security 2008 seemed unable to cope with it. So I emailed Panda's TechSupport. I'm still waiting for a reply even though I have 'phoned their offices in Bilbao, Spain, on numerous occasions and sent about 50 emails to them by now. It's only possible to speak directly to Customer Service, some of whom only speak Spanish. Despite promises of forwarding my details to TechSupport flagged as 'urgent', still no reply.

I also rang Panda in the USA and the UK but they are separate franchises and refused point blank to offer me any assistance whatsoever. Obviously my loyalty to Panda is decidedly misplaced.

My problem: At first Firefox pages began to open spontaneously - lots of them. Some bore flashing announcements that I had won $50 of free 'phone calls or had a free gift to collect. The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper's web site is my homepage - the usual little square ad on the right of that page for BMW or Citibank was replaced by a flashing announcement that I had won something. Other pages that popped up were just blank Firefox pages with this in the address bar: http://82.98.235.113/dot.gif/?ver=91&c...&br=firefox[/b][/i]

The ads have mostly gone, but blank Firefox pages pop up spontaneously still.

For a time Windows Explorer would not open, and if it did, the Search function would not work and I get a message telling me that a component required to run Search is missing and that I may need to run Setup. Sometimes the list of Programs in Start would disappear, but return after I restarted the computer. Also the 'Windows Security Centre' keeps popping up telling me that 'Automatic Updates' has been turned off.

I have run Panda's Scan times too numerous to mention and it reports that it has detected and disinfected spyware and suspicious files every time. However, most of these problems persist.

I really do not want to reformat my computer right now. I'm a high school teacher and it's mid-term. I was planning to do a complete clean in about 5 weeks. Anyway, I need to know what files are corrupted so that I don't re-import them.

Please can anyone point a way forward for me or recommend an anti-virus program that not only works but provides actual technical support.

Jazzpolice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Hello and welcome,sometimes it will take several tools and several scans to find the buried malware. Let's see what this reveals.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jazzpolice

jazzpolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

Boopme appears to have provided me with an amazing solution to my problem. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware cleaned my computer in minutes - so easy and I am so grateful. Deepest thanks to Boopme and to the BleepingComputer community.

Here is the scan log that Malwarebytes did:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1078
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9:01:43 AM 24/08/2008
mbam-log-08-24-2008 (09-01-43).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 51878
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 5
Registry Keys Infected: 25
Registry Values Infected: 4
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 24

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\owner\svchosts.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddcCULDv.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\iqwlpbmj.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\urqnLDvS.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dvkjtp.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hnqzhw.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{2753b591-d1ec-4a00-93e4-cec5247eb60c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\urqnldvs (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2753b591-d1ec-4a00-93e4-cec5247eb60c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{b50aa767-3746-4700-a759-e27120cb6379} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{b50aa767-3746-4700-a759-e27120cb6379} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{c3f6f4fe-85f6-4d0c-98de-15324b09f149} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\mljcrhee (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c3f6f4fe-85f6-4d0c-98de-15324b09f149} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{e6654790-31ed-49a4-90d6-67696a8b2398} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e6654790-31ed-49a4-90d6-67696a8b2398} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\iebrowsercmp.browsercmp (Adware.RightOnAds) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\iebrowsercmp.browsercmp.1 (Adware.RightOnAds) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{c1a6d8b8-93c3-4186-9dd1-13983f9f1d9b} (Adware.RightOnAds) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3160f356-e8c3-4de2-a698-92eeeb3d3400} (Adware.RightOnAds) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\adssite (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HID_Layer (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\contim (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dslcnnct (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IProxyProvider (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\aoprndtws (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\e42798b2 (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{2753b591-d1ec-4a00-93e4-cec5247eb60c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\bme714ab2e (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Host Process (Worm.IRCBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Notification Packages (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\ddcculdv -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Authentication Packages (Trojan.Vundo) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\ddcculdv -> Delete on reboot.

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kBin15 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\urqnLDvS.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hnqzhw.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mlJCRheE.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddcCULDv.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vDLUCcdd.ini (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vDLUCcdd.ini2 (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\iqwlpbmj.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\jmbplwqi.ini (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fcccBuvS.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WhoisCL.exe (Adware.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dvkjtp.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ofnbhrho.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpyuadfy.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0H1KLW16\kb767887[1] (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcrh.tmp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\winlogon.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\services.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\smss.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\csrss.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pac.txt (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\owner\svchosts.exe (Worm.IRCBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\pskt.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\BMe714ab2e.xml (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\BMe714ab2e.txt (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hello again. A couple of things are required here. Have you rebooted as required after the scan,I have to ask.
You should also check for an update,as they update often and rescan and post another log.

The bad news,and this is why I want to see the logs is you have been exposed to an Worm/IrcBot

This Trojan allows for its author to control a computer by using Internet Relay Chat (IRC). The Trojan can update itself by checking for newer versions on the Internet.

Your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of Trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Even though the infection has been identified and quarantined all financial,password and account numbers that were stored on this PC should be considered stolen.

When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall?

We will help you clean this PC but that would be a decision you have to make and there is no promise of future security without the format. Let us know how you wish to proceed.

Edited by boopme, 23 August 2008 - 08:46 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jazzpolice

jazzpolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:23 PM

Hi Boopme

I did restart my computer after the scan and I have run a few more scans which came back all clear. So, so far so good.

As stated before I am planning to reformat, but prefer to wait a few weeks. As for security, I really don't have much to hide. I have a 300gb hard drive, and apart from about 70gb of music it contains a lot of Word files for school - I'm a mathematics teacher. My wife does the internet banking, but she manually enters her password to access our Credit Union account - and she didn't access the account in the last week when the system was vulnerable. I make random purchases online, but always use PayPal (which I assume is secure).

I'm thinking that I could risk putting off a reformat for about 5 weeks.

Jazzpolice

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

OK ,you kow what you do and what may be at risk. The scans have worked. So you did well. If your going to reformat in a few weks then that's a good idea. Thanks and glad to have been a service to you and the misses.

#7 toekidjan

toekidjan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

hi Mr. boopme...

I've looked for it to clean the some troubles for my computer, but no result.
Accidentally, I've found this post, because I have same problem as jazzpolice, and I've did what you say to jazzpolice.
that's great way I've done from you... :thumbsup:

thanks a lot :flowers:

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:02 AM

You're welcome toekidjan,happy to have helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users