Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Works With Labtop But Not With Wired Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 godjira

godjira

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:54 AM

I run Windows XP, have Windows Service Pack 3 and I have D-Link 615 router. There is only one other computer that is linked to the wireless network and that is the labtop I'm using right now. It is the only one with a consistent connection to the net. My wired computer disconnects from the internet sporadically then reconnects after 30 minutes to an hour or so.

I haven't done anything new or out of the ordinary. The only thing I can think of is that I had to reset my router and set up my network from scratch. After that, my connection hasn't been the same. I've called DLink about my problem, but the best answer they could give me is plugging into another port on my router. I've also re-powered the router and modem several, several times. That doesn't even get me a couple of seconds of the internet. Sometimes rebooting works.

When I run Network Diagnostics on internet explorer I get an error on my WinSock Status. It says error attempting to validate the Winsock Base Providers: 2. At first I thought the winsock was the problem and I've opened up the command prompt and have reset it as well as downloaded Winsock XP Fix. I also receive an error on my HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity.

I've been trying to research my problem for the past week. So I've taken some steps already to try and resolve my problem.

I've ran Network Diagnostics in Help and Support and the following has failed on my Network Adapters:
Default Gateway (same subnet)
DHCP server
DNSServerSearchOrder

I've tried to repair my connections but it always gets stuck on renewing my IP Address. It seems I never can do it. I've checked my connections and everything seems to be running fine. It says I am connected to the internet yet, I can't access a website.

My connections are set to obtain IP address auto and the same goes for the DNS server.

I've flushed and registered my DNS.

I've also downloaded and ran ad-aware and spybot and super anti spy ware. All three picked up on different things,and I have taken the steps to rid them from my computer already.

Why would my computer act differently when it was running just fine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

I would try and unplug your router, and plug your computer directly to the modem. This would let you see whether or not it is the router that is the problem.

#3 godjira

godjira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

I appreciate your reply. I just tried that today when the connection went down and I got no results.

What other suggestions might someone have?

#4 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Two suggestions: re-flash the router; temporarily disable the firewall (assumes non-Windows OS software).

Re-flash the router:
Download the router firmware to the laptop. Hardwire the laptop to the router. Flash the firmware.
This brings the router up-to-date and corrects possible corruption of the firmware.

Putting both computers hardwire to the router gives a meaning comparison of how the router is performing.

If only hardwired computer loses connectivity to the internet, disable that firewall; check performance.
If problems persist, follow the hardware path.

#5 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

Is your wireless network secure? It is possible someone is logging into your router and changing settings. Every time I find an unsecured wifi network in range to my laptop I add a password to the GUI of their router so no one can muck with it. If I had less principle I could do a lot more. At the very least set a management password on it. Point your browser to 192.168.0.1. The default credentials for dlink is admin and the pw is blank.

Give your NIC a static IP. Set the default gateway to that of the router (the default for dlink is 192.168.0.1.) Set the DNS addresses to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1. If your connection comes up and stays up for a while then you know you have a DHCP problem.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#6 godjira

godjira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:39 AM

Is your wireless network secure? It is possible someone is logging into your router and changing settings. Every time I find an unsecured wifi network in range to my laptop I add a password to the GUI of their router so no one can muck with it. If I had less principle I could do a lot more. At the very least set a management password on it. Point your browser to 192.168.0.1. The default credentials for dlink is admin and the pw is blank.

Give your NIC a static IP. Set the default gateway to that of the router (the default for dlink is 192.168.0.1.) Set the DNS addresses to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1. If your connection comes up and stays up for a while then you know you have a DHCP problem.

Thank you for trying to help. I just tried that and lost my connection. Are you also knowledgeable in DHCP problems? And what causes it?

#7 godjira

godjira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

Two suggestions: re-flash the router; temporarily disable the firewall (assumes non-Windows OS software).

Re-flash the router:
Download the router firmware to the laptop. Hardwire the laptop to the router. Flash the firmware.
This brings the router up-to-date and corrects possible corruption of the firmware.

Putting both computers hardwire to the router gives a meaning comparison of how the router is performing.

If only hardwired computer loses connectivity to the internet, disable that firewall; check performance.
If problems persist, follow the hardware path.

Thank you too for replying, however, I'm lost reading your instructions. I don't understand how this will help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users