Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP firewall help needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:47 AM

XP SP2
SpywareBlaster
Spybot S&D/res
Ad-Aware SE
Microsoft AntiSpy
NIS2005

just cking security and i noticed that windows firewall keeps disabling after reboot.
i know im probably secure anyway. its just an anoying little thing.
ive been enabling thru start/control pnl/win firewall/on/ok.
logged admn.

whats up with that.

the only thing ive noticed is that when i enable it nothing pops up to advise me of a firewall setting change. which raises the question, if i have it enabled and some way it gets disabled,,,,,, am i gonna get advised of that?

greatfull for advise,

computerly challenged,
igo :thumbsup:

Edited by igonuts2, 21 April 2005 - 03:52 AM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:49 AM

Hi igo,

If you have NIS this includes a better firewall than the one in WinXP, so I would make sure the firewall in NIS is enabled, turn the XP firewall off and forget about it. There is no advantage in having two firewalls running. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:18 AM

Hi igo,

If you have NIS this includes a better firewall than the one in WinXP, so I would make sure the firewall in NIS is enabled, turn the XP firewall off and forget about it. There is no advantage in having two firewalls running. :thumbsup:

Not only is there no advantage, but there is an extreme DISADVANTAGE in running two or more firewalls at the same time. They will conflict!

You can have multiple anti-spyware applications running, but never more than one firewall!

If you have another one operating - disable the Windows firewall!!!!!!

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 April 2005 - 09:19 AM.

#4 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:26 PM

thanks guys,

NIS firewall was enabled, a little late, but back in january. thats when we got on the net,with no protection, got bit, found out about bc, and started my learning curve.

so, what do they say, "badda bing badda bang, fugitdaboutit".

done!

ty ty ty,

igo
Why work when you can play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users