Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Screwed, I Don't Know My Window Password...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 plaz

plaz

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:21 PM

My hard drive started to make a knocking noise and I'm scared it may be the beginning of the end for it. Realizing I have never done a backup I panic and download a 3rd party software that is suppose to do backups. Before I installed it I scanned it with Kaspersky 7.0. It didn't find anything so I went ahead with the install. After the install it asked to restart the pc. I did and when windows started back up it asked for a password. I have never had a password on this pc so I can no longer sign in. I tried to start up in safe mode but it asks for password there too.

Please help, is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance for anything you can do for me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

What program did you install?
Are you asked for the password BEFORE the computer fully boots to the user accounts screen?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 August 2008 - 11:52 PM.

#3 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

It was Acronis. It doesnt ask me for password until the user accounts screen. I put in my recovery disc in and i thought I might try to reinstall or repairs windows. At that point it tells it cannot find a hard drive.

It's not the end of the world if I have to reinstall windows, but at this point i am not too sure how to do that either?

I have a partitioned drive with C on the small portion and D the balance. I also have another hard drive installed as well - E. At this point I'd just like to save the data on D & E. (I also have an external drive on this system as well, but it has been powered off this entire time)

Thanks!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

Re-read the instructions. I recall reading a workaround if you didn't create a password. I just don't remember exactly where at the moment
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

Did you try pressing "Enter" to enter a blank password?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

Yes that doesnt do it either. I have rerun the program and it says the password is blank. I have tried to do it in normal and safe mode.

#7 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

Anybody???

#8 jasonTHX

jasonTHX

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

I'm not sure if this helps but:

First, I would ask Acronis support if they can help.

or

If you can log in as guest (no password) or another user that you set up then you can go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.
See who is in there and whether or not it's password protected.
If there is another account in there that you created that has Admin rights you can delete the password on other accounts.

Those passwords are terrible. I have searched for how to get into an EFS folder to recover files the user forgot the p/w to and the only thing I found was this
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Good luck!

#9 lol999

lol999

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

You can hit F8 before the windows logo appears, so you can log windows in safe mode. This way it won't ask for password and then enter Control Panel>Users Accounts, and just remove the password for your account.

#10 SamusMcloud

SamusMcloud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

This did it for me. Had the same problem. Only thing is you will need your windows startup disk.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 15 October 2008 - 07:01 PM.
link removed

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

Per forum rules
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users