Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Vista System, Can I Add 2nd Hdd ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

I just bought a new Gateway GT5674 it's running an AMD Phenom 9500 quad. 3 GB ram. This system came with Vista home premium as the OS. I have a 160GB SATA loaded with XP Pro that was the boot drive in my old system, can I install this drive as a second hdd into my vista box without it trying to boot XP? Will I need to set bios for second drive? This will be installed on one of the open SATA ports on the mobo. I'm new to SATA drives, will I need to change the jumper from master to slave ? or would it be the master on the second channel

So far I have no complaints with Vista other than being lost in a new OS and fumbling around to find things.

Sorry for the long winded question, but wanted to try and answer as many questions as possible.

Thanks, Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

The MBR is on C: and the boot order should keep the second drive from booting. The BIOS can let you change the boot order should you ever want to boot to XP, but I'm not sure if either OS will recognize the other without repairing the OS or otherwise modifying the MBR. Newer SATA drives don't have jumpers for master/slave. Some SATA drives have speed jumpers, check your manufacturer for jumper specs if there are any.

3939.png

#3 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

The MBR is on C: and the boot order should keep the second drive from booting. The BIOS can let you change the boot order should you ever want to boot to XP, but I'm not sure if either OS will recognize the other without repairing the OS or otherwise modifying the MBR. Newer SATA drives don't have jumpers for master/slave. Some SATA drives have speed jumpers, check your manufacturer for jumper specs if there are any.

According to Seagate you are correct, no jumper to set with SATA. I don't want to boot to xp from this drive, only access the files and storage.

This is from seagate support

Each drive on the serial ATA interface connects in a point-to-point configuration with the serial ATA host adapter. There is no master/slave relationship because each drive is considered a master in a point-to-point relationships. If two drives are attached on one serial ATA host adapter, the host operating system views the two devices as if they were both “masters” on two separate ports. This means both drives behave as if they are Device 0 (master) devices.

So if it sees both as master and device 0 how does the system decide which is the MBR ? I could see disaster on the horizon when it tries to boot both OS's at once!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

The BIOS determines what it looks for when selecting an MBR to use. In general, it'll just take the first one that it finds. You can work around this by specifying (in the BIOS) that the second drive isn't to be booted from. As I recall, you usually press F2 on a Gateway to access the BIOS.

The easiest thing to do is to format the drive. If you want to save stuff off of it, hook it up, transfer the stuff to be saved to the new drive, format the old drive, then transfer the saved stuff back to it.

BTW - If you try to boot from the XP disk, it'll likely fail because of all the hardware changes between the old XP system and this new one.

Finally, another option is to get an external enclosure for the old hard drive and use it to access the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

The easiest thing to do is to format the drive. If you want to save stuff off of it, hook it up, transfer the stuff to be saved to the new drive, format the old drive, then transfer the saved stuff back to it.

John,
I think your transfer idea is a good plan, I'll do that. Itwas a worry of mine that XP would try to boot and mess up the system. I hope you're right on that.

Thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

On a Gateway you can press F10 as it boots and it will give you a menu where you can select which device to boot from.

In the event that it does boot from the XP disk no harm will be done - and most likely XP will just lock up during the boot process and refuse to do anything. It won't mess up the Vista installation as long as you don't try to modify things in the boot stuff on the drive (like Startup Repair) rather than in the BIOS - which is what the F2/F10 stuff is.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

Ok, I added the drive from my old system ( was my old xp boot drive) the system see's it and assigned a drive letter, but when I access it I am getting a lot of "User access control " popups asking me to change ownership of each and every file I try to open :huh: this is driving me nuts! All I want to do is transfer my email addy's , favorites and picture files and some other data. Is there a way to give me permission over the whole drive ? Again, I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Thanks, Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users