Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Markil

Markil

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:21 PM

Hi all, I had a friend to come by today and told me that his puter is acting weird, hanging up a lot, and shutting down. He said his wife and mother-in-law set it up and he has no idea what protections, if any, are on it. What would you guys recommend as far as any cleaners/av's/firewalls I could dl for him, burn, and take over to him that might help. And what are the best online test areas? This guy is on a slow dialup, so Im gonna try to dl the programs he needs. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 31 July 2004 - 12:34 AM

Have him run both of these online virus scans:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

Then let us know if its working better and what the scans found.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:22 AM

You should download the following and then install them on his computer:

AdAware 6.0 (he will have to use the NET to obtain updates)
AVG free antivirus (updates from the web)

If he doesn't know what is on the computer, then you will probably have to show him how to use both of these. While on-line virus scans are all well and good, they have two disadvantages; first, for the dialup user, they consume a lot of time, and second, they will not prevent infections (resident AVs will do this) only find and remove them after they have done their damage.
Make sure all the latest MS critical updates are installed on his computer.
A firewall is also a good idea; but you will have to show him how to train it. Sygate Personal Firewall is a very good free application and seems pretty stable.

From what your friend indicates, he either has some spyware or malware on a computer used by the family. Or, he needs to do some routine maintenance, like running scandisk and then defragging.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Dangitall

Dangitall

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 04:34 PM

Also, while you are downloading the programs mentioned above, you might wish to grab the latest versions of other security-related programs as well, such as Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, ZoneAlarm, et cetera, for installation after this particular machine has been dealt with.
'Newbie'?? In a pig's ear!

Main Machine: 500MHz P3, 320MB PC100, 80GB Seagate, Nvidia FX5200, Philips RhythmicEdge

#5 Markil

Markil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I dl'd the latest Spybot S & D, Ad-aware, AVG, ZoneAlarm, and Spywareblaster. When I got there I found he was hooking up with AOL, and using all of their recommended tools. It took me almost 4 hours to get his puter cleaned, up and running. AVG found and cleaned 12 viruses. S & D found and then corrected 212 (red) problems. Before we started, according to ShieldsUP he had 3 ports stealthed, most ports closed, but 5 were wide open. I installed ZoneAlarm, and he is now completely stealthed. Before I left, we dl'd Dustbuster and got rid of some junk. Needless to say, when I left, he was truly amazed as to how well his puter actually ran. He and his wife both agreed that it was a LOT faster. Thanks again guys. I think my next help for him will be to tell him to register on this forum and keep his mess together :thumbsup: Markil

#6 Dangitall

Dangitall

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 09:21 PM

If you want to decrease the probability of your having to do this all over again, try steering your friend away from AOL. They charge far too much for their service, and I've had to clear too many AOL-related problems on others' computers.
'Newbie'?? In a pig's ear!

Main Machine: 500MHz P3, 320MB PC100, 80GB Seagate, Nvidia FX5200, Philips RhythmicEdge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users