Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damaged Gfx, Motherboard, Or Software Issue?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

I am using a desktop to post this.

The PC in question is a Vista laptop,
2GB ram
duo core
nvidia 8400m GS

I'm getting a black screen "before" boot up - so I can't even do a system restore/pc restore. (black screen before POST)

This black screen of death happens 95% of the time (I am repeatedly taking out the batteries, restarting, etc).

When the screen does not turn totally black, I did a 'automatic pc repair' - it got me to the log in screen. Then I clicked log-in and
everything turned to purple-green and the laptop crashed.

*note
I can not get to startup, system restore, safe mode, etc 95% of the time because the screen is black
5% that I do get to startup repair, I use the system repair, system restore, memory scan, etc all to no avail
As soon as I get to anything past startup, the screen glitches and crashes

Is this because my gfx overheated and melted my computer or something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

First thing to try is to plug it into your desktop monitor and see if you get a screen and we can take it from there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Sorry, but I don't have a USB monitor that can be plugged into my laptop =(

#4 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

Any other suggestions?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:38 AM

Some laptops have a connection for monitors, such as a VGA or DVI port. Is the screen totally black as though the laptop is shut down or is the backlight still working?

3939.png

#6 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

Some laptops have a connection for monitors, such as a VGA or DVI port. Is the screen totally black as though the laptop is shut down or is the backlight still working?

Yeh, the screen is totally 'black' but the glow light is still working. (the light that makes the screen glow if u look at it from an angle)

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

The screen should still be working. The graphics card might have a hardware problem with it or some system file or driver is keeping it from functioning correctly. Have you tried placing the Vista disc in the laptop, booting it, and repairing the OS?

3939.png

#8 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

The screen should still be working. The graphics card might have a hardware problem with it or some system file or driver is keeping it from functioning correctly. Have you tried placing the Vista disc in the laptop, booting it, and repairing the OS?

I'm not sure if my laptop came with a Vista disc. Do all pcs/laptops come with a vista disc?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

It depends, some vendors do include the OS disc but many of the mainstream vendors don't...at least not without a fee. Boutique PC and laptop vendors usually include the disc without a fee. Mainstream vendors include a system restore disc that will restore everything to factory defaults. This disc usually erases everything off the drive and then reinstalls the OS, crapware and all. Any Vista disc will work if you're just wanting to repair the OS.

3939.png

#10 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:04 AM

I see. I must be outta luck then.

Since my warranty expired 2 days before this craptacular event happened, I guess I have to take my laptop over to the guys at Best Buy to get it fixed. =(

#11 BlueScreenDeath

BlueScreenDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

Ok, so I need to confirm this is a motherboard problem.

It does not get to POST/BIOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users