Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Organizing Music Files In My Music

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CShirey

CShirey

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hello,

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but if not, I'm sure someone will let me know!

I have a lot of music files on my hard drive and because they have come from so many sources over the last few years their file names are inconsistent. I'd like all of the music files to be in the same format in the My Music folder itself and not just in an application such as Win Amp where I can tag the music.

It's driving me crazy (I know it shouldn't!!!) and I am really not interested in changing each one seperately . . .

I know there has to be a program (hopefully, free!) that can do this easily. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Turnips

Turnips

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hi, that's always been a problem of mine until I decided to act. I didn't use a program - I spent a whole day renaming, retagging, organizing the files. If you have a program like iTunes which has a music library feature, filenames shouldn't be a problem, but if you're paranoid about filenames(like me), I suggest you do it manually. Delete all entries of the music library(if your player has one), but DON'T DELETE THE FILES. Making subfolders in My Music (ex. by artist, by genre, etc) should help. Once you've renamed everything, re-transfer them to your music library. Done!

#3 CShirey

CShirey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

I really appreciate your answer - just the answer I didn't want to hear!!! :thumbsup: You are right though - it is the only way to make sure that it is done the way I want it done. I guess I have to bite the bullet and get busy . . . ugggh!

I definitely think this will take more than one day . . .

Thanks.
cs.

Edited by CShirey, 25 August 2008 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users