Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CDROM not recognized

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

I need help. I did a clean install on a old ComputerTec system with a memorex 48x CDrom. After loading Win98se from it's CD, loaded Microsoft Word from it's CD, then loaded all critical Microsoft updates thru cable with a installed ethernet card. Now I do not have a cdrom when I open "My computer", it's gone!!
CDROM does not show up in device manager in normal mode, but when I go to safe mode, it's in device manager CDROM ATAPI 48XCDROM
I get the following sometimes when I boot up in normal mode: CDR Device Driver for IDE (four channels)
Driver Version: 3.2
Device Name: MSCD001
Chip Set Type: 82371AB(PIIX4)
No drivers found, aborting installation

When I place the start up disk in A, boot up system and "start computer with CD-ROM support, I get "Device Drives not found: 'MSCD001' No valid CDRom device drivers selected", so I can't do another clean install, HELP :thumbsup:
Where did it go and how do I get it back?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
newbeee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:24 AM

Boot to safe mode, go to device manager and remove cd rom drive if it is present there. restart u'r computer in normal mode and it should correct the problem.

bravo.

#3 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:28 PM

I did not do what jbravo suggested, thanks anyway. I think my problem is more envolved. I did have access to the CD Player prior to installing it's 48x cd-rom dive installation disk. That's when the CD-Rom dissapeared and I receive "no valid CDROM device drives selected"
Now when I boot up, I receive the following:
CD-Rom Device Driver for IDE(four Channels)
Driver Version 3.2
Device Name MSCD001
Chipset 82371AB(PIIX4)
No drives found, abort installation

c:\>c:\windows\lsl.com
bad command or file name
c:\>c:\windows\odihlp.exe
bad command or file name
c:\>c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /D:mscd001 /M:10
no valid CDROM device drivers selected

I found lsl.com, odihlp.exe and c:\windows\command\macdexe.exe /D:mscd001 /M:10 in THE System config. utility in Autoexec.bat
My question is 1). can I get rid of the first two,if they aren't necessary to keep
2) how do I get rid of them 3) I think I need to edit the last one to read C: \DOS\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /M: 10 (is it safe to edit?) Thanks, newbeee

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:45 PM

Put the comment "rem" in front of all three. (without the quotes) and reboot. 98SE doesn't need any commands in autoexec.bat or config.sys to run properly. Its odd that the boot disk won't install the CD drive unless you made it after the 98 install.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:32 PM

I'm back. I stopped all 3 items in autoexec.bat from loading at boot up and now I receive no "bad command or file name" and of course the "no valad cdrom device driver selected"
My question is, if I totally disconnect the cdrom(audio,ide and power cable), reboot the system, remove the cdrom that only shows up in safe mode, reboot again and then replace everything, do you think it will be recognized on reboot?
I'm at my wits end :thumbsup:
Thanks,
newbeee

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:19 AM

You don't need to physically disconnect it. Remove it as you said from device manager and power off the computer. Reboot and go into the bios. Look for Auto-detect hard drives or something similiar and do that. Press esc, F10 (to save and exit) and see if its back.

What was on that CD that you loaded? Is it compatible with 98?

Is the CD drive the only thing on that cable? Do you have the jumper set for master?

Edited by Leurgy, 25 April 2005 - 07:21 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

OK, I've had it with this system. :thumbsup: If I do a clean install, fdisk and all that stuff, can I start up with the 98se startup disk in floppy drive choosing "without" cdrom support? ( I have to select this option because the cd -rom isn't recognized) Will that wipe everything, including all the bad stuff that I screwed up? :flowers: At what point will this system recognize the CDROM?
At this point, do I select "start with cdrom support" to partition and format.
I've read so many articles to select "with" or "without" cdrom. I'm so confused :trumpet:
The cdr drive works, I can hear the cd reading and running,I loaded everything from it a couple weeks ago when I did a clean install on this system. My problem started when I loaded the 48XCD-ROM drive installation disk when everything was running great. I now know not to load that again.
I've tried 2 different startup floppies, one that was made when I did the clean install and another that I got from another 98se system. Tried to start with cdrom support and I get device driver not found:"MSCD001" no valid CDROM device drives selected. HELP!!?? I have not physically changed anything inside this system.
Thanks,
newbeee

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:45 PM

can I start up with the 98se startup disk in floppy drive choosing "without" cdrom support?

Yes.

At this point, do I select "start with cdrom support" to partition and format.

No. You need to partition and format from the boot disk.

Will that wipe everything, including all the bad stuff that I screwed up?

Yes.

At what point will this system recognize the CDROM?

Reboot with the boot disk and choose CD support.

But first try these:

Do what jbravo suggested.

Boot to safe mode, go to device manager and remove cd rom drive if it is present there. restart u'r computer in normal mode and it should correct the problem.

Before you reboot look in Add/Remove programs for any program that was installed from that CD you ran. Remove it/them.

Try doing a restore and roll back your registry to a date before this problem happened. Boot the computer while repeatedly pressing F8 until you get to a menu (as if you were trying to get to Safe Mode). Choose Command Prompt Only. When you get to C:\> type in "scanreg /restore" without the quotes and press enter. You will see a blue screen with the dates of 5 previous registry backups. Choose one with a date from before this problem started.

when I loaded the 48XCD-ROM drive installation disk

Still waiting to hear what exactly that was.

#9 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:57 PM

Hi there, you are soooo patient. :thumbsup:
I removed all 3 cables to the cdrom, booted up into safe mode, removed ATAPI 48XCDROM (I could only find it in safe mode), shut down, started in normal mode, shut down, connected all cables to cdrom, boot up and NO cdrom anywhere, did not detect new hardware, but I still get the "device driver not found, bla bla bla as mentioned before. There is nothing in add/remove relating to this mess I created. I did stick a CD in the drive, and it runs, but of course, no display.
The floppy I loaded has on it "48X CD-ROM drive installation disk. Disk format 1.44MB Ver:3.2 1999 Memtek products, INC. 3532003700" It has a read me titled "CD-rom device driver for ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE".
I'm not familiar with 98, and I think that's where I screwed up. I placed the floppy in A and told it to install. As I read the "read Me" again, it tells me to change the directory to that of your floppy disk drive and type the following at the dos prompt: INSTALL ( I did not know that programs has a "ms-dos prompt" program and I think that's what I was suppose to use)

The scanreg /restore wont go back far enough :flowers:
Question:
When someone does a scanreg /restore, will that wipe out all the Microsoft critical updates that they have loaded between now and going back into time?
Thanks, newbeee

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

No, scanreg only goes back so far as you can see. The critical updates alter and add files which are unaffected by a restore.

Have you been into the Bios yet to see if the CD drive is recognized there? You normally get in there by pressing delete (keep hitting it til you get there) when the screen first lights up when you boot. A typical bios screen has two rows of options you can look at and the first one on the left is where you would see the hard drive and CD drive (press enter to get in and esc to get out). If its not there look on the first screen for auto detect hard drives and using the arrow keys highlight that one and press enter. See if that finds the CD drive. If it does, press esc and then F10 (Save changes and exit) and then just press enter when you see a box that says "Save changes and exit Y/N (Y)". You need to go into the bios to see whats going on.

I don't know why you have a floppy with drivers on it for the CD drive cause you don't need drivers for a CD drive.

When you put a cd in the drive you are testing with a data cd rather than an audio cd?

#11 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:32 PM

Yes, the CD was data, actually win98SE. I checked the CD on another win98 system, and it's OK. When I get into bios, I can not find "auto detect hard drives". When I opened "standard CMOS Setup", it list drive A:1.44m, 3.5 in. and Drive B:none. I did find the Boot sequence: A,C,SCSI.
Maybe it's time for that clean install. I do have a question pretaining to clean install, at what step do I actually reboot with the boot disk and choose CD support?
Thank you sooooo very much. I'll be waiting for your reply.
newbeee

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:57 PM

it list drive A:1.44m, 3.5 in. and Drive B:none. I did find the Boot sequence: A,C,SCSI.

You should have seen the hard drive in there under primary master and the CD should have shown under secondary master. If you use the arrow keys to get to the immediate right of each of those it will auto detect them there when you press enter, but anyway. :thumbsup:

Its fairly easy to do. If you dont want to partition then just boot with the boot disk, no CD support, at A:\> type in "format C: /u". (The u will blow off that screwy registry), when thats done reboot with the floppy, pick CD support, at the A:\> type the following:

A:\>E:
gives you
E:\>
type setup

If you get "bad command or file name then type "cd win98" and press enter then type setup.

and away you go. The CD drive becomes E: (if it was D: before, cause a Windows 98 bootdisk creates a ramdrive that moves your CD drive letter back one).

Have fun and good luck. Let us know what happens. :flowers:

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:14 PM

If you can't find your CDROM drive in the BIOS reloading windows certainly wont help you find it.

I think you need to recheck the cables you removed from the CDROM drive and make sure it is visible in BIOS before you continue.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

Leurgy:

I don't know why you have a floppy with drivers on it for the CD drive cause you don't need drivers for a CD drive.

It's probably DOS drivers. (Hence the floppy.) I just did a quick search and came up with one of those: Mitsumi, ATAPI (IDE bus) CD-ROM DRIVE, Version 1.55.

Setup Instructions:
Restart computer to DOS. Make this disk write enabled. Insert this disk in drive A:,
Type a:\di and press Enter.

It enables computers to use a CD-ROM from DOS, which is unnecessary these days, unless you're actually using DOS. And it might replace one or more of the files necessary to use the CD-ROM from Windows with an older version.

This particular disk contains , in addition to readme files, these files:
MTMCDAI.SYS CD-ROM device driver.
MTMCDAI.386 Windows virtual device driver.
SETUPD.EXE CD-ROM installation program which tells the CD-ROM
driver how you want it organized.

I would suggest that Newbee check the floppy and see what files it contains.

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

Rimmer

This problem started when he ran the floppy disk from within windows instead of from a dos prompt after a clean install using the drive. It would be a real fluke if the drive or the cable died at that point.

Herk

I figured that disk might have replaced the windows drivers but without the CD to do an extract he's kind of stuck. I'm hoping it didn't write to the bios. The boot disk wouldn't run the CD drive at that point anyway so even replacing the windows drivers seemed pointless. If it loaded a vxd into vmm32 what are you going to do about that? Thats a real can of worms. Been there and done that.

Anyway, he's getting frustrated and wants to format so its his call. Too bad he didn't have the cab files on the hard drive. He might have to slave another CD drive to reload windows. Think that might work? Worst case scenario he has to flash the bios I guess.

The other worst case scenario would be newbeee posting back from the library. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 25 April 2005 - 08:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users