Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Install Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 poolturtle

poolturtle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

My Compaq Presario laptop locked up on me, and after shutting down, it wouldn't start up again. Kept cycling thru the boot up cycle. The short story of it is that the ntfs.sys file was corrupted, along with the ql2300.sys file (which was keeping me from accessing the recovery console.)

Anyway, after ordering the recovery discs from HP (I had neglected to make my own upon purchasing the computer), and downloading Killdisk to wipe the drive(the recovery disks wouldn't even start up without wiping the drive completely) I attempted to reinstall XP, but it kept giving me "cannot copy file" messages on literally dozens of files. In some of the messages, it said something about the setup file not being a valid xp copy.

I didn't wipe the recovery partition, could that be causing the error? and is it ok to do it? I'm not worried about losing any info. There was nothing on there I cared to keep that I can't reinstall later.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: The recovery discs are supposedly specific to my computer's serial #

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

If you have recovery CDs/disks...what purpose could a recovery partition serve?

I've never had a system with either...recovery CDs or recovery partition...but I think one would do and the other would be superfluous.

I'd rather have the CDs/disks.

My experience with ntfs problems...is to obliterate that whole partition and start with a clean hard drive...format with the XP CD/create the partition...and install.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

Some HP's require the recovery disks (that you make) in order to access the recovery partition. The recovery disks from HP shouldn't have this need. They also are "tattooed" to your model - so an attempt to run them on another system will generate an error telling you it can't be used on that system.

Normally using the recovery disks from HP is a smooth process. This indicates to me that there's another problem. I'd suggest trying a bootable diagnostic test (usually free) from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users