Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvdrw/cdrw Drive Showing As Cd Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

Hi guys, yet another noob question from yours truly, but this thing is kinda worrying me so here it is. Recently probably the last week or so, my DVDRW/CDRW drive has been showing as a CD drive on "My Computer" It is still working, burnt a DVD with Sonic a couple of days ago. It had a couple of errors, Altho that could have been the drive, the media, Sonic itself or just the data i was burning. But it worked eventually. Maybe its a side effect of installing Daemon tools (Virtual Drive)? Maybe malware? even tho AVG didn't pick up anything never really know. Maybe I need to update firmware? Or maybe scrape back a lil for a new drive? I really don't want to go without a DVD burner, gotten kind of spoiled.
Also may be of some importance I don't know, but when running some DVD videos blahblah.vob style DVDs I bluescreen quickly then restart.

Has anybody seen that before even?

Edited by smurfgod, 22 August 2008 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

If it functions as a dvd drive...I wouldn't worry about it.

But...you could always uninstall/let XP redetect it.

For the blues screens...Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm and get an error message about what's happening or not happening.

Louis

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:37 AM

cool, thanks man. Didn't even think about uninstalling it. I'll probly hold off until when/if it really fails. Hate to try and fix a technicality and it stop working because of that. Anyhow, cheers Louis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users