Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Secure A Shared Folder(drive) In A Workgroup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kanyama

kanyama

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:04 AM

hi
I have networked computers that i would like them to communicate in this way:-
first the data management system with about six computers should have their own work group differently and secured.
then the admin workgroup with 5 computers which should share applications and storage drive. other members of the network should have no workgroup set. the network is not secured(no security level set)
so i set two workgroup one called DATA-MANAGEMENT and the other ADMIN.
the problem is when i click on my network place it brings all the shared documents in all this computers both the data management department and the admin.
how can i secure the admin department so that their shared documents and drive will be private. i dont have a central file sharing server. am using both wireless and wired network.
I had planed to dedicate one computer as the data server for the admin department, how can i go about the configuration? :thumbsup:
can some one help me set it up pls!

[Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgw]

Edited by jgweed, 22 August 2008 - 09:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kanyama

kanyama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:53 AM

Hi guys,

I added a computer and shared a drive which i mapped among the Admin work group. but i realise the Data management workgroup can also access the shared drive if they mapped it up in their PCs. is there a way of setting security or preventing the data management group and any outsider from accessing the Admin workgroup? am using windows xp pro and vista OS only.

I need help pls.

#3 Jonathan C

Jonathan C

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:12 AM

Well The way you are trying to do your connections would i recommend getting another pc make it a login server, network that server with all the computers and add all the accounts to the server then set up folder sharing to certain levels for every user. Sound good?

If you want more info PM me

Edited by Jonathan C, 23 August 2008 - 11:12 AM.

Posted Image

#4 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:59 AM

Right+click the shared folder. Go to Properties > Security. You can give or limit access by login account. Format of account is <PC_Name>\<User>. So if I was accessing the folder from a PC called Client-PC and my login name was dbough, you would add "Client-PC\dbough" to the user names section, and give me what ever access I need in the box below.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users