Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death On Startup

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 CaLiFol2niCaTioN

CaLiFol2niCaTioN

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:34 AM

First, thanks in advance for clicking on my topic title!

Problem: Windows starts up normally and the User selection screen pops up. After selecting a user, I get the blue screen of death and the laptop reboots. Upon trying boot up on Safe Mode, I get a completely black screen with a blinking " _ " at the top left corner of the screen.

Past Pertinent History: I contracted the Antivirus XP 2008 malware on my laptop. I was linked here, but during that time BleepingComputer was undergoing maintenance! Impatient (I should've just waited), I looked up another tutorial on removing the malware. It told me to delete some of the malwares main files (I think 3). I did, and since then I haven't been able to boot the laptop up.

Laptop info:
WinXP Home Edition
Can access BIOS
ASUS, bought from Asia
Won't read a boot disk that works fine on my WinXP Home desktop (is it because my desktop is from U.S. and the laptop in question is from Taiwan?)

Thats pretty much all the info I can think of right now

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:53 AM

Try running System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 CaLiFol2niCaTioN

CaLiFol2niCaTioN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:42 AM

The Antivirus XP 2008 knocks off all the restore points, unfortunately :thumbsup:

Edited by CaLiFol2niCaTioN, 22 August 2008 - 04:44 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

That blinking underscore with the black screen...is normally an indicator that your mbr is in need of repair/replacement.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Rather than fool with the Recovery Console...I'd suggest doing a repair install to overcome other system problems as the result of your infection.

You have checked to see if the system is clean now...right?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#5 CaLiFol2niCaTioN

CaLiFol2niCaTioN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:22 AM

The laptop is not completely clean yet. The blinking thing only occurs when I try to access safe mode.

I want to try doing a repair install, but when is the Boot Disk supposed to show up when I start up my computer? I get the Windows XP start up screen with the little loading bar, then I get sent to the user selection screen. Do I have to press anything to use the boot disk? Or is it supposed to automatically read?

BTW, thanks for all the excellent feedback so far :thumbsup:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:10 AM

You may have to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the first device is the CD-ROM. If it isn't the first device in the boot order you won't be able to boot from the CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

Please do not bother with an attempted repair...until the system is definitely clean.

That seems to mean that the order should be...change boot order in BIOS to CD/DVD, enter Recovery Console and try to run fixmbr command (on premise that corrupt MBR prevents system from booting).

Ensure that system is clean, do repair install of XP.

At least, that's what I would do.

Louis

#8 CaLiFol2niCaTioN

CaLiFol2niCaTioN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention this; I already changed the BIOS order but nothing happened! When is the boot disk supposed to act up?

#9 Satbum

Satbum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

I don't know if this is much help for you but it will let you know what started my BSOD issue.
I had Windows Professional XP Service Pack 2 (build 2600) on my computer. I had Windows Automatic Update On and SP3 was just installed.
Ever since that I have not been able to use my computer. I have tried all the different methods options using F8 on startup and each time I get the BSOD. Only 1 time, I was able to get into Windows where I attempted to uninstall SP3. I do not know if that was accomplished because I canít get back into Windows anymore.

My system model is Intel945GPM
BIOS : Intel
NT94510J.86A.394.2006.0707.1405

This info has been sent to the MS Techs, but so far they are lacking in the service dept.
They gave me an auto reply with remedies that may work if you can get into windows or DOS.
I can't get past the BSOD. It flashes for 1 second and then my computer reboots.

BTW: I understand that most of the issues are with AMD processors and HP computers.

Edited by Satbum, 23 August 2008 - 02:43 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

You keep saying bootdisk...I keep thinking "XP CD."

You are referring to an XP CD...when you say "bootdisk"...are you not?

I don't find a bootdisk necessary or of much value...with XP. The XP CD, OTOH, has various tools which are useful in dealing with system issues.

Louis

#11 Satbum

Satbum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:04 PM

Louis - I think that a boot disc may come in handy for those that are actually locked out of their system like I am.
I unfortunately don't have one and my Windows XP Install CD seems to be missing the 3waredrv.sys drivers, so it won't work as well.
I think that I may have certain updates that have been installed on my computer that are preventing the XP CD from working.

#12 CaLiFol2niCaTioN

CaLiFol2niCaTioN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

hamluis, sorry for the mixup. Yes, I mean WIN XP CD. Booting from CD now...

Edited by CaLiFol2niCaTioN, 23 August 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#13 CaLiFol2niCaTioN

CaLiFol2niCaTioN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:20 PM

So hamluis, I'm following your instructions and after I type fixmbr I get a warning saying

** CAUTION **

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

I'm just being cautious here: so this fixmbr is the only path available for my situation right now?

Thanks for helping me out.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

No problem :thumbsup:, yes, that warning is standard XP...ignore it and press on.

Louis

#15 CaLiFol2niCaTioN

CaLiFol2niCaTioN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

After doing fixmbr and exiting the console, I still cannot get in. Should I attempt to repair now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users