Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound After Sp3 Update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

I just recently updated to SP3 I have noticed that my pc is starting up much slower than it did before the update which is not to big a deal for me. Whats got me going is that fact that I no longer have any sound. I noticed this problem when trying to listen to music in winamp and WMP and of course no sound when watching a movie in WMP. I resolved the problem with Winamp by configuring it to the installed drivers. I get this error when I try to open a music file in WMP (Attachment 5).

I have a pci sound card installed that is a Creative Labs 5880 Audio PCI 128 and an on board audio jack that I am not sure what it is, but SIW says its a VT8233/A AC'97 Enhanced Audio controller.

Windows device MGR says there is no conflicts and that they are working properly (Attachments 1-3).However under the Sounds and audio devices is says there is no audio device installed(Attachment 4). I have searched the net for the past week installing and uninstalling drivers from DriverGuide. Only to have the same problem. I am not sure if I got the correct drivers or what is going on. So I turn to you more knowledgeable ones for guidance.

Attachments are screen shots of the window/s.

Thanks for any insight.

EDIT: I have been through the MS Troubleshooter many times and not resolve the problem.

Attached Files

Edited by Nightspear, 21 August 2008 - 09:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

What is the make and model of your computer? That's an old Sound Blaster card and I can't find anything. It's possible your onboard isn't any better. You might want to consider an inexpensive replacement. They're simple to install
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829102182
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

Mark,
I have a tossed together bare bone kit from a local shop(no longer in business). The manual they gave for mobo is Syntax K7SV266AD. I can only find drivers for the bios.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

FWIW: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=K7...6AD&cat=MBB

Louis

#5 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

Louis,

That is my Mobo. I see it came with a disk. Unfortunately I don't have the disk. I dont really remember receiving one but I may have just lost it. Either way I don't have it now and cant seem to find the correct/current driver for it.

On a side note I see I didn't get what I had paid for.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

I agree with Mark...it's probably wiser to just go ahead and get an inexpensive PCI sound card...if that is the only problem you seem to be having with your system.

I was trying to locate drivers for said MB, but I cannot even figure out who the manufacturer is.

Louis

#7 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Two opinions saying to get a new card, well I can handle that. Just one question how would I disable the on board sound when I install the new card?

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

If the option is available, it would be done in the BIOS. You could also remove it through Device Manager. I'd do that before installing the new card. Just so you don't remove the wrong one by mistake
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

Nice thinking Mark, I have it disabled a the moment. I am going out tomorrow to get a new card. I will go through the Bios later tonight and disable it there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users