Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Discovery

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

I opened Internet Explorer today and discovered somethings different and i don't know why they are.

First, my homepage is about:blank

Second, where it reads File Edit View Favorites and whatnot my Sign In option is gone

Third, next to View it no longer says Bookmarks, it now says Favorites. My favorites are not there.

Okay, I am an att.net customer and when we click the IE icon a window pops with all our identies and we choose who to login in as. That doesn't happen anymore. I signed into Yahoo with our att/yahoo username and it worked...I found my bookmarks on the yahoo toolbar (which I didn't used to have) but its not the same.

I would like Sign In next to Tools where it was...I want my Bookmarks drop down back and cannot figure out why this has happened.

Any help would be great...I'm out of town this weekend so any replies by me will come on Sunday night. thank you.

Edited by garmanma, 24 September 2008 - 05:22 PM.

What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

First off, I am sorry if this is the wrong forum for my problem.

I opened Internet Explorer today and discovered somethings different and i don't know why they are.

We have 3 accounts through yahoo, and we used to be able to sign in and basically have our own personalized computer.

Now we can't do this, our accounts are still there, we can sign into Yahoo, but we all share a Favorites folder...we used to have different Bookmarks folders listed. I know that our Bookmarks are still saved through yahoo, but we no longer have the option to sign in. Where it reads File Edit View Favorites and whatnot my Sign In option is gone...next to View it no longer says Bookmarks, it now says Favorites.

I am an att.net customer and when we used to click the IE icon a window pops with all our identies and we choose who to login in as. That doesn't happen anymore.

I would like Sign In next to Tools where it was...I want my Bookmarks drop down back and cannot figure out why this has happened.
Jaysnzees

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 September 2008 - 05:12 PM.
Merged topics as each post contains slightly different information. ~ OB

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

Can you kindly tell us what your Windows version is, what your computer protection is, and when did you last run full system scans to check for nasties?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 September 2008 - 05:21 PM.
Removed no longer relevant content as topics have been merged. ~ OB

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hello jaysnzees,

First, my homepage is about:blank

Is this what you set it to meaning that when you open your browser you get a blank page? Or did you mean something else?

.next to View it no longer says Bookmarks, it now says Favorites.

Perchance, did you use Firefox to access Yahoo before? Reason I ask is that IE says Favorites; whereas, Firefox says bookmarks.

I don't use Yahoo, so I am not familiar with their layout.

Do you know whether Yahoo changed their software or layout lately?

We have 3 accounts through yahoo

What sort of accounts? E-mail accounts, or . . . ?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

How about trying a System Restore back a couple of days, but it does really sound as though you accidentally used a different browser this time.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

rowal5555 - I thought about a system restore, but i have been dealing with this since mid August (my first request for help got ZEro replies) and I didn't know if it would restore from so far back.

Ruby - I run Windows XP, IE 6.0, I have Webroot Spy Sweeper (7 days overdue for a sweept, and Norton 360)

Orange Blossom - Homepage being blank was a problem a long time ago, I didn't realize I included it on this query...somewhere down the line my homepage got changed, but I've since took care of that. Our browser used to read: "File Eidt view Bookmarks Sign In Tools Help" Sign In is gone and Bookmarks has been changed to favorites. What i mean by accounts is Yahoo email accounts...we have one, and the kids each have one. When my son would log in HIS bookmarks would be in place and he would be logged in...now w2e all basically share the same IE and share a Favorites folder (drop down, whatever its called)

Also, the ability to open a Tab is not there. i can right click and Open in a New Window, but the option to open in a New Tab is not there.

I have been trying to find some place where I can restore IE to its default setting, but I don't know how.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

Start menu/Control Panel/Internet Options.

Advanced tab.

At the bottom of Advanced, click RESET under Reset Internet Explorer Settings.
Click Apply, then OK.

Open IE.
Your home page will be changed to msn; you can easily change it back to whatever you want to use.

Let us know what happens after you do this.

You mention IE6-which doesn't have the tab option. Tabs were added to IE7.

#8 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:58 AM

thanks Queen-Evie.

By the way, up until August we HAVE been opening tabs. Our internet explorer is a 6.0.2900.2180, but i swear we had the Tab option...i was told that IE 7 is not recommended for Windows XP use. they may have changed that now though, i was told that over a yea ago.
thanks I'll let you know what happens.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:25 AM

As you seem to have very little protection on there could you please try running a scan with malawarebytes for members to have some idea of what might be happening there ; instructions can be found here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=953627

Can you also confirm if you have Service Pack 2 installed and when you last fully updated and ran the Norton antivirus?

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

thanks Queen-Evie.

By the way, up until August we HAVE been opening tabs.

This statement in connection with your saying that your "favorites" had been called "bookmarks" and that you are using IE 6 leads me to conclude that you were using Firefox before. IE 6 does not have the Tabs option. I'm on a public computer right now with IE6 on it, and there are no tabs. IE didn't come out with tabs until version 7. Firefox, however, has had tabs for a very long time.

IE says "Favorites".

Firefox says "bookmarks".

I've never used it, but Firefox does have an extension called IE tab that can be installed. Perhaps in the past you were using Firefox with IE tab.

i was told that IE 7 is not recommended for Windows XP use.

I have XP and I do have IE7 installed at home. It works fine, however IE7 uses quite a bit more RAM than IE6. I have long preferred Firefox, however, to any version of IE.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

OB-
I have heard lots and lots of great things about Firefox...I have downloaded and attempted to use it three times now in the past year and a half (last night was the third time) and I double click on the Mozilla Firefox icon and wait.......................forever it never works. So I go back to IE. Sigh

#12 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

Ruby- Hi there. I went to Run, typed in winver and this is what it says:

Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpxp-sp2-qfe.070227-2300: Service Pack 2)

#13 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

Ruby -
i have the Malwarebytes' results...I am not sure of the best way to post it on here.
i know its annoying but I'm going to cut and paste it here. So you can see the info as quickly as possible.
thank you for any help you have for me.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28
Database version: 1205
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/25/2008 4:35:40 PM
mbam-log-2008-09-25 (16-35-24).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 65841
Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 32
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 5
Folders Infected: 8
Files Infected: 14

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{2e9937fc-cf2f-4f56-af54-5a6a3dd375cc} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{42e2b43f-3954-48ec-b549-5c05cb7dbd0a} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{4fcb7cfd-13fc-4afe-a634-efbd957e7083} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{741de825-a6f0-4497-9aa6-8023cf9b0fff} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{81d04785-9638-4bec-8b39-3b9b9e972d1d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{cf54be1c-9359-4395-8533-1657cf209cfe} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{07895222-50a5-4598-acb1-806ef2a9babc} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3885c07e-5f60-4cb3-bcea-ebccc3135201} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{d518921a-4a03-425e-9873-b9a71756821e} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{93b0fa7b-50f6-41b4-ac7e-612a72ce8c3c} (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{59c7fc09-1c83-4648-b3e6-003d2bbc7481} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{68af847f-6e91-45dd-9b68-d6a12c30e5d7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{9170b96c-28d4-4626-8358-27e6caeef907} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{d1a71fa0-ff48-48dd-9b6d-7a13a3e42127} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{ddb1968e-ead6-40fd-8dae-ff14757f60c7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{f138d901-86f0-4383-99b6-9cdd406036da} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{93b0fa7b-50f6-41b4-ac7e-612a72ce8c3c} (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\rhc3fqj0et7t (Rogue.Multiple) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\RunDll32Policy\f3ScrCtr.dll (Adware.MyWay) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Software Notifier (Rogue.Multiple) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FunWebProducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FocusInteractive (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductId (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Bad: (VIRUS ALERT!) Good: (76487-OEM-0011903-00825) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowHelp (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\StartMenuLogOff (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoToolbarCustomize (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSetFolders (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\History (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\Settings (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver\Images (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\Shared (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mnfprdsq.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qsdrpfnm.ini (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\History\search3 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\Settings\setting2.htm (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\Settings\settings.dat (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\Settings\s_pid.dat (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver\Images\02AC9914.urr (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcrh.tmp (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\cookies.ini (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\acrsecB.fon (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\acrsecI.fon (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jennifer Stajduhar\Favorites\Error Cleaner.url (Rogue.Link) -> No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jennifer Stajduhar\Favorites\Privacy Protector.url (Rogue.Link) -> No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jennifer Stajduhar\Favorites\Spyware&Malware Protection.url (Rogue.Link) -> No action taken.

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

I think you maybe forgot/overlooked this part of the instructions? :thumbsup:
Run it again please including this part of the instructions for helpers to see what further help you need

The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hello jaysnzees,

Given the results of your MalwareBytes scan, I'm going to shift this topic to the Am I Infected forum where folks dealing with malware removal hang out.

Copying and pasting the log was the right thing to do.

-> No action taken.

These lines throughout the log usually an indicates that the malware was not removed. When the scan has completed, make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

Please rescan and post a new log.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users