Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Install Of Xp

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

Hello again everybody...

Just a sort of quick question. My old computer that started out as an emachine years ago, that now has a Gigybyte motherboard, generic case, and other misc hardware.
I believe I may have thrown away the emachine CD's (if it even came with them) since after I changed out the motherboard years aga, and then called emachine for support, they said all was useless now since I didn't replace it with a emachine motherboard.

Anyway... I found my Windows Liscense Key using SIW ( http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html ), and would like to try a Repair Install using a friends retail XP cd, to see if it will fix my previous problem with the keyboards that we were unable to find a solution to a few weeks ago. I found this post while searching ( http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...cfm/593498.html ), and it sounds exaclty like my problem with a fix.

Will any XP cd be able to do a Repair Install as long as I have my Windows Lisc Key?
Would this be the correct lisc key I need that SIW found on my computer? (under Liscenses, it show Windows Key along with other Office keys and such.)

Thanks in advance!

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

Any XP CD should be okay as long as it is the same type. That is, if you have XP Home installed on your computer do not use an XP Pro disk to do the repair install.

You can double check that you have the right key by using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

Thanks Budapest!

It should be home and home, he's bringing the cd tomorrow.

I'll let you know if there are any problems.

Thanks again.

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

Ok, I have XP cd, verified my Lisc Key.

So now what? When I boot from cd, do I choose Recovery Console or Setup Windows XP?

If it is recovery console, then what?

Help...

#5 CaLiFol2niCaTioN

CaLiFol2niCaTioN

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

This link might be helpful...

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

THANK YOU!!

I kinda already answered part of my question as I typed it. I rebooted and chose setup XP, and it is now running a repair install!

Cool beans!

I would be open to any more advise on this if anyone thinks is needed...

Terry

#7 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

It is now asking me to insert a VIA AGP Filter Driver disc?

Do I cancel?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

There should be a disk of drivers that came with the Gigabyte motherboard and the driver will be on there. If you cancel out, then the system will "most likely" work, but you'll be missing drivers. If you don't have it, visit the Gigabyte website and look up the drivers for your model of motherboard - you'll be able to download them from there and put them on a CD to use on your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Ok.... I couldn't wait. I canceled, it went thru and asked me for my product key...

But I CAN'T ENTER IT SINCE THE KEYBOARD DOESN'T WORK!!! AAAAAHHHHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!!

now what?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

Are you using a USB keyboard? If so, try one with a PS2 connector - they're friendlier when it comes to lower level stuff like installations.

If not, then you're going to have to download the drivers as I mentioned above.

Edited by usasma, 23 August 2008 - 08:48 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:50 PM

Sorry.. very frustrated...

I have the Gigabyte Cd, I put it in the second cd rom being I didn't want to eject the XP disc, abut couldn't get it to find it.

Anyway... that is probably not the issue at this point. I thought doing a Repair install woulf fix the keyboard problem, but....

#12 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

John we seem to be typing at the same time!
Yes.. USB , If i put iPS/2, don't i have to reboot?

#13 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

OK.. Rebooted w/ps2 keyboard, went thru it all again, even with Gigabyte cd to install drivers, the monitor kept blinking on and off, then finally got to the product key screen...
not only did the ps2 keyboard not work either, but as soon as I pressed a key, it locked up the ps/2 mouse as well.

So back to square 1...?

Again... Heeeeeelllllllpppppppp........!

please

Edited by AustinTerry, 23 August 2008 - 09:32 PM.

#14 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

Now I can't even boot back to my normal xp, even w/o the xp disc int the tray, and changing bios back to boot from HDD0, it still tries finish installing and asks to insert cd. So now it looks like I'm screwed.
At least before I could use the computer with the onscreen keyboard.

:thumbsup:

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

Boot into bios. Root around for something called USB Legacy Support or something similar. If it isn't enabled, enable it.
Save the change. This MIGHT solve your usb keyboard issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users