Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Pro Boot Up Issue - Very Slow

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 darylstacy

darylstacy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

Once I see my desktop, it takes about 25 seconds for the actual icons to appear. 4 month old laptop, no corporate image, Win xp, nothing in startup folder. The following things running under startup in msconfig:

- systray
- Apoint
- ashDisp (avast antivirus)
- ctfmon
- Super Antispyware

No viruses on this laptop. Cant figure out why it is so slow to get to the point that I can start working. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

This kind of behaviour is often experienced if you have a mapped network drive that is no longer available.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 darylstacy

darylstacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

This kind of behaviour is often experienced if you have a mapped network drive that is no longer available.

That's gotta be it!! How do I fix it?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

Right click on the mapped network drive in Explorer and select Disconnect.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 darylstacy

darylstacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

Ugh...I thought that was it.....we had an S drive connection when I first started with this company and have since disabled it. I just knew that was it......but it wasn't. Still just as slow....any other suggestions?

#6 darylstacy

darylstacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Any other suggestions?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

My personal experience is that SUPERAntispyware...loads after the desktop icons appear.

Ran chkdsk /r and defragged lately?

Louis

#8 darylstacy

darylstacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

My personal experience is that SUPERAntispyware...loads after the desktop icons appear.

Ran chkdsk /r and defragged lately?

Louis

Pulled SuperAntiSpyware out of the mix and it is still just as slow....will try chkdsk and defrag now. Any other suggestions?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

Always...try basic maintenance first :thumbsup:.

After that, you can take a look at startup items, using a tool like AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Msconfig does not display all startup items, as you will see if you use Autoruns. Please only use the tab Logon, for this effort.

I did not intend to indicate that you should remove SUPERAntispyware, it's a good application and should be running at boot.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2008 - 08:04 AM.

#10 darylstacy

darylstacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

Always...try basic maintenance first :thumbsup:.

After that, you can take a look at startup items, using a tool like AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Msconfig does not display all startup items, as you will see if you use Autoruns. Please only use the tab Logon, for this effort.

I did not intend to indicate that you should remove SUPERAntispyware, it's a good application and should be running at boot.

Louis

No go....chkdsk /r and defrag ran with no noticeable improvement. Ran the autorun program and there is nothing in there that stands out. Any other suggestions?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

Nothing I can think of, sorry.

Louis

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:19 PM

You could try running BootVis to see if it can identify what is causing the boot delay.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 kevin_moore63

kevin_moore63

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

I think I am suffering from the initial subject of this thread, that is slow down due to network drives. I have 4 network drives that I am not certain of their purpose. When I try to disconnect, I am getting the error msg:

"There are currently files open on I: (connected to ...). If you do not close the files before disconnecting from the network device, data may be lost. Do you want to disconnect the device anyway?"

My question is, how can I determine which files are open. I would like to know what the files are before I disconnect the drive.

I am fairly certain I don't need some or all of these drives connected all the time. I have accessed these drives at some time in the past, but I think they may be causing slowdown issues now.

Thanks for any feedback, Kevin

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

To Kevin Moore63: Please start a new post of your own, rather than combining all the different characteristics of your situation...with someone else's post.

Computer situations are seldom the same, since individual systems, circumstances, and solutions often vary.

You might also look at Before you post about a problem - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/18367/before-you-post-about-a-problem/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users