Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Speed Drop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wongy

Wongy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hey Bleeping Computer,

Well, i am a teenager but i know alot about computers and i know that i have no virus nasties or anything. Nothing wrong with my wireless networks etc. For my 3 pcs and two lappys and xbox the internet speed is horrible. My parents pay near 30 a month for a "16Mb" connection, yet i just did a speedtest and got 700kb/s up and 488kb/s down.
There is no faults in the line as i checked on the BT website thing.
This all happened today, yesterday BT rang and told my mum if she stayed with then for 12 more months they would drop the price to 15 or so.

But this is rediculous, i cant even join a lobby on Xbox Live, i can hardly load youtube vids, im constantly disconnected and my MSN etc keeps signing out.

I said to my mum to switch but she said shes in a contract. So where do we stand as customers? Can we deny payments from the bank, and just switch to another ISP such as Virgin with fiber cables...?

PS: My mum seems to want to keep it...

Edited by Wongy, 21 August 2008 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi Wongy,

Does your connection ever drop? If so it could be that your 16MB is too high for your PC. This causes it to throttle. Ask your ISP what speed they are expecting on your line and get them to check it. If they are not reporting any problems then you might want to ask them to cap it - this could also save you money. You only need 6-7 MB for videos and games.

If they are saying that there is another reason and they aren't looking too interested then shift supplier. Their contracts don't mean too much if they are breaking it by not supplying the MB they are advertising so they wont legally stop you.

Hope that helps.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hello Wongy and welcome to BC.

Does this problem happen at set times, there may be more people online at the same time slowing the connection?
Regards,

Alan.

#4 Wongy

Wongy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:10 PM

Thank you for the reply.
My connection dosen't seem to drop, ive had it for a good 8-10 months hassle free, it started yesterday but it wasn't so bad until today, the lines speed dropped drastically. I used to get about 5000/6000kb/s on speedtest and i was perfectly happy. Its nothing broken on my end, and the line isn't faulty in anyway whatsoever.

It has happened for 48 hours or so now, and its just me using the connection.

Edited by Wongy, 21 August 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

I would check there's no problems at your ISP end. If it's been okay for 8-10 months and you're only having problems for 2 days it could be a problem with them. Check first, they may also suggest alternatives such as resetting the router which they will talk you through on the phone.
Posted Image

#6 Wongy

Wongy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

Ive resetted the router and theres "no issues" at their end. Or thats what they are telling me anyway. I think they are doing some sort of sneaky cap on me, as i have a 700kb/s connection now, and thats when i did speedtest to London. When i did a Sydney speedtest, i got exact same speed even thought its the other side or the world.

Edited by Wongy, 21 August 2008 - 02:31 PM.

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

If you really think they don't care then go somewhere else...but tell them on the phone that you are. Tell them you are not happy with the speed that you are getting and you are going elsewhere.

If they aren't bothered then go. It might be an idea to show your mum the problems playing a simple video that she's paying thirty quid a month for.
Posted Image

#8 Wongy

Wongy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the advice. A moderator can lock this, thanks again.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

We do not lock or close threads for no reason. The topic and responses are archived in case anyone else has similar issues. If people quit responding it will disappear soon enough
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

One more thing that should be added to this. Although you are quite confident that there are no viruses on any of your computers, it is always best to check by doing one more bit of troubleshooting. This will also help to let you know if one of the computers has some peer-to-peer file sharing going on in the background that might be causing the trouble.

The best thing to do is disconnect the router and plug one computer directly to the modem with an ethernet cable and run a speed test. This is eliminating the possibility that one of the other computers is trying to access the internet without your knowledge. On the one computer that is directly connected, ensure that you have no peer-to-peer file sharing programs like limewire or bit torrent running in the background, and do a full virus scan of the computer with a recently updated anti-virus program. If it still is not working, I would contact your internet provider with that one computer connected and get them to help out more as it sounds like the troubleshooting they had you do was minimal at best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users