Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Runs Very Slow All The Time

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RAWKUS

RAWKUS

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:23 PM

i have a dell inspiron E1705, its a very good laptop, was very fast and very useful, but now its very slow, no matter what i do, internet is slow, streaming movies are choppy and play very laggy. so far i've done everything i am able to do to try to get my computer back to normal performance. but i've had no luck so far. i've done disk cleanup, disk check, defragment, spyware doctor(not the full version), i have all my settings set to performance over looks as far as the desktop looks. i'm out of ideas or lack the knowledge of why my computer is acting so slow, i also did a system restore, i think it has to do with how many processes are goin on at one time. when i press ctrl+alt+delete, the task manager has over 40 processes running at once, and some of them are using a lot of memory usage. I have no idea what some of these task are doing, and why they are all running at once. for example, i prefer firefox over explorer, but every time i boot my computer Iexplore.exe is running and using 273,025k. and the CPU fluctuates between 40 and 70. the CPU usage is either at 100% or flirting with 100%. i've tried to not have multiple programs running at the same time, and i've tried to end the processes that are using the most memory. when i close the process, the warning pops up and says,
:WARNING: terminating a process can cause undesired results including loss of data and system instability. the process will not be given the chance to save its state or data before it is terminated. are you sure you want to terminate the process?
i also freed up alot of memory, i had 16 gigs remaining on a 50 gig hard drive, and i deleted a lot of programs and music, now its 24 gigs freed up. after everything i did, the computer was running really fast again, top notch performance, that lasted for an hour, i went to work, came home, turned on my laptop and it was bleeping slow again. frustrating. i've told you just about everything, i think. thanks alot guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hello RAWKUS,

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)

Your hard drive may be set to the wrong mode.

1. Right click My Computer select properties
2. Select the Hardware tab and click device manager
3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers group
4. Double click Primary IDE Channel
5. Select the Advanced Settings tab
6. What is the current Transfer mode for Device 0?

If the mode is set to PIO Only select the driver tab and click Uninstall
This will uninstall the driver and reboot the system. Upon reboot the driver will be replaced and you should be using the correct setting.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 RAWKUS

RAWKUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

the transfer mode for device 0 is DMA if available.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: LoadPerf
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3011
Date: 8/21/2008
Time: 12:42:36 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SCOTTY
Description:
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: f2 03 00 00 3b 07 00 00 ...;...
Event ID: 3012
Time: 12:42:36 PM
Description:
The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. BaseIndex value from Performance registry is the first DWORD in Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in Data section.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 37 07 00 00 38 14 00 00 7...8...
0008: 00 00 00 00 ca 03 00 00 .......
Time: 3:35:07 AM
Description:
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

Data:
Time: 3:35:07 AM
Description:
The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. BaseIndex value from Performance registry is the first DWORD in Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in Data section.

Data:
0000: 37 07 00 00 1e 14 00 00 7.......
Time: 12:35:39 AM
Description:

Data:
Time: 12:35:39 AM
Description:

Data:
0000: 37 07 00 00 04 14 00 00 7.......
there's many more errors, i mean alot, im not sure if i should paste all of them, its gonna take a while, for now i'll paste some warnings too
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1517
Date: 8/20/2008
Time: 4:12:54 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Windows saved user SCOTTY\Scott registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1517
Time: 12:45:12 PM
Description:
Windows saved user SCOTTY\Scott registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Event ID: 2006
Time: 11:07:50 AM
Description:
LastCounter and LastHelp values of performance registry is corrupted and needs to be updated. The first and second DWORDs in Data Section are the original values while the third and forth DWORDs in Data Section are the updated new values.

Data:
0000: 1c 14 00 00 cf 13 00 00 .......
0008: 6a 14 00 00 cf 13 00 00 j......
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 5603
Time: 11:06:50 AM
Description:
A provider, Rsop Planning Mode Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, root\RSOP, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the required functionality.

Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 5603
Time: 11:06:50 AM
Description:
A provider, Rsop Planning Mode Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, root\RSOP, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the required functionality.

there's a whole lot more warnings and errors. if you need more of them i will be happy to do my part to help. thank you.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

The transfer mode should be set to ultra DMA mode [number]
Those errors indicate a damaged registry. http://www.testingreflections.com/node/view/4845 try the fix on this page.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 RAWKUS

RAWKUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:01 AM

it says ultra DMA mode 5. the fix on the page you gave me didnt work, the message says: C:\WINDOWS\system32> is not accessible. the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. i typed it in exactly as it looked on the site. what should i do now? thanks.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

Did you copy the exact line into the prompt? don't forget the space between the r and the /
Regards,

Alan.

#7 RAWKUS

RAWKUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

yes, and just to make sure i tried it one more time, C:\WINDOWS\system32> lodctr /R copied and paste. still no luck.

#8 RAWKUS

RAWKUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

now my computer is acting normal again, since i've posted my problem the only thing that has happened was a norton virus scan. but thats about it. i know that there is still a problem with my laptop, although the problem is not affecting the performance as of right now. should i be worried or just forget about it?

#9 RAWKUS

RAWKUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

my computer WAS acting normal, but it turned off when the charger came unplugged while i was sleeping, and its back to being really slow again, could u please help me out? i haven't gotten a response from you in a few days. thanks

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:15 PM

Sorry for the delay.

You could try doing a repair install http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Regards,

Alan.

#11 RAWKUS

RAWKUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:38 AM

is a repair install like a master reset? im a little confused of how it will affect the computer. the warnings about me losing data and such worries me. do i need those CD's that windows xp uses if you want to do a master reset on your computer? thanks for all your help. i'm thinking about calling a local computer repair service local to me, only because i really want to make sure that the computer will be in top shape. what do you think, alan?

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

Just a small point?

Nortons is known as a System Hog, could it be that your Problem is ocurring whilst Nortons is running?

If that is the case set Nortons to run whilst you sleep.

Try it, it won't hurt anything.

:thumbsup:

#13 RAWKUS

RAWKUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:46 AM

thanks for the tip, but its not norton, its way more complicated than just that. i found my operating system and application cd, but im still looking for my xp cd. ive had it with my slow computer, it used to be very fast. ugh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users