Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Videos

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:17 PM

For the last year or so, my wife and I have enjoyed Russian films at www.intv.ru. Naturally, we prefer to watch the clips in full-screen mode. In the last few weeks, we have run into problems with our browser, Firefox 2.0.0.6.

When a video is running, we convert it to full-screen mode. At this point, the audio continues to run, but the video freezes and never moves again. We have not had this problem with IE7, but I prefer Firefox. I don't think I have changed any of our browser settings since the last time we watched a full-length film with no problems. I might have updated an extension or something.

I run Firefox on a Windows XP platform. My browser has the following extensions installed:

ProCon Latte (a filtering program)
AdBlock Plus (blocks many advertising frames and banners)
AVG Safe Search and Security Toolbar
DOM Inspector (not sure what this does)
Google Toolbar
NoScript (allows Javascripts only on sites specified by me).

The only hardware change I have made is to replace our CD drive with a DVD/CD-RW drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hi elinatim,

You're right, extensions can interfere with different media player plugins.

As you have not indicated which media player you are using, please have a look at the article Quicktime/Real/Windows Media Player Issues, and note that Adblock is listed as a possible problematic extension.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:34 AM

Thanks. The Web site uses Adobe flash. I have just rolled back to IE6. When I tried to run a video there, I was sent to Adobe for a download. After I downloaded the flash player, the video ran, but I had the same problem that I have been having in Firefox. Hmmm.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:46 AM

Firefox 2.0.0.6?
That's a very old version of Firefox.
You might want to update it, for security reasons, if nothing else.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

This could be a Shockwave Memory Usage issue, or perhaps check out the other Shockwave issues listed on the Shockwave Player Support FAQs page.

~Edit: If all else fails, please read these posts by Bill Castner.

Edited by TMacK, 23 August 2008 - 08:58 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

Firefox 2.0.0.6?
That's a very old version of Firefox.
You might want to update it, for security reasons, if nothing else.

Funny... I just assumed that Firefox was telling me the truth when I clicked on Help>Check for Updates and was told, "There are no new updates available. Yes, I really am running 2.0.0.6. I've been too lazy to check for updates on Mozilla's Web site. I assumed that I would be notified as they became available. (Too many assumptions, I know, but I have been busy with more important things.)

#7 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone. I updated Adobe flash. Then I updated Firefox. Now the problem is gone.

Everything is exactly the way I want it. YAY!

Edited by elinatim, 24 August 2008 - 09:00 PM.

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

Glad to hear you've worked things out, elinatim. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

Ummm... Can I reopen this thread? I have not changed ANYTHING so far as I know, but the problem is back. So NOW what? I am still running Firefox 3.0.1 and the latest version of Adobe flash. The only thing I can think of is that I occasionally run the CleanUp utility, but I always do that. Any more ideas? Surely SOMEONE else has had this problem.

I have the same problem on www.hulu.com when I go to full-screen mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users