Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bluetooth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:38 PM

wasnt sure if this was suppose be under here or networking...

i have heard that this can be done but i dont know how. what do you need? can you just get an adapter if your phone or laptop is not bluetooth enabled?

how about other options for doing this? like some sort of cable or something from the phone to the laptop?

i just figured someone here have done it already...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:00 AM

Your cell would have to have blue tooth and then you can purchase a usb blue tooth adapater like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ronics&n=172594

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:19 AM

how do you know if a cell phone is bluetooth enabled? my contract is gonna expire soon and im looking around for one.

assuming you get it all up and running, how do you dial to connect online? do you need a seperate internet provider for that? i can see how it might work if you have dial up, but what if you have cable or DSL?

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

this won't help much but i'm pretty sure its what type of INTERNET connection your phone has not your laptop. like a phone doesn't connect with DSL or Cable or even Dial Up

You'll know if a phone is Bluetooth Enabled by look at the documentation of the phone.

When looking for a new one make sure with your service provider (Sprint, AT&T, Some other Company) that you get the plan with Internet access. Not particularly wise to say your plans to do this with Laptop as they could charge extra.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:21 PM

LoLucky is right. You would need to subscribe to your cellular services internet plan. Though it is possible to make your phone act like a modem for your laptop but its expensive

#6 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

im with t-mobile and i dont know if their service has internet access or not...i know i can DL stuff from the phone (ringtones, games, etc) but i dont know if that qualifies or not...

i guess what i was looking for is making my cell act like a modem....how exactly is that done? some sort of cables are needed or something?

#7 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

best way to find out if you have it or not is call up Customer Service and ask. =)

T-Mobil does have Ineternet access but your plan might not. but you did mention your contract was running up. so you should keep your options open in that reguard.

Now with Bluetooth technology you won't need any wires. Bluetooth is Wireless access. I'm not exactly sure what all you'll need but you will need Bluetooth on your laptop and phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users