Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

16 bit windows subsystem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 burtlebee

burtlebee

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:06 PM

I am operating XP pro and evey time i try and load a game I get
16 bit windows subsystem
C:\Windows\system32\AUTOEXEC.NT> The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsft windows applications.
How can I fix this....
Very confused

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:20 PM

Hi burtlebee and welcome to BC

Download and run 16 Bit_Fix.exe and your off to the races, or should I say games. :thumbsup:

This error is caused by corrupted files that have been altered by malware called WinTools, so you might want to do something about that.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 burtlebee

burtlebee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

thanks for that I will give it a go!
How do i stop malware?
i have adaware and spybot as well as Zonealarm.
i am very new at puters, and at the moment have a very big stess headache.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:15 PM

We were all new to computers at some point so don't get too stressed about it. Short of taking a hammer to it, there is nothing that you can do to a computer that can't be fixed if you know how or come here to find out how. :thumbsup:

You might want to post a log in the Hijack This forum here to see what kind of shape your in at the moment. See How to post a HijackThis Log.

Also take a look at So how did I get infected in the first place?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:33 PM

You can also download and enable Spywareguard, another real time malware prevention application that will enhance your ability to protect your computer from malware.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 April 2005 - 08:37 PM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

Sorry, I was working from memory when I said WinTools earlier. I lifted this from another site:

I've done enough checking to determine that the AUTOEXEC.NT file is getting deleted when Windows XP Pro shuts down.

If I set the read-only bit then the file is not deleted but I would like to find the real reason this is happening.

Found the problem and it was a program called WindowsAdTools which got installed somehow.

C:\Program Files\Windows AdTools\WinAdTools.exe It runs all the time in the background so you cant delete it.

You can try add/remove programs but the only way i found to delete this program was to start the computer in dos and delete the directory

I had no problems but i have seen an article where this solution did cause problems.

Another possible cause

What's happening is your Autoexec.nt file keeps getting deleted by a file named WINDUPDATE.EXE. Note the spelling it's not WINUPDATE.EXE. I found out that Windupdate.exe was deleting my Autoexec.nt file after a boot using the Audit command. You will find the Windupdate.exe file in \Program Files\Windupdate folder. Delete it! Go to the registry and remove all references to Windupdate. Now put a good copy of your Autoexec.exe file in your\system32 folder. You don't have to check the "read only" attribute for it now. There are a ton of folks getting this pest!

The best idea though is to post a HJT log and let the experts see what they find.

#7 burtlebee

burtlebee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:13 PM

Ok so I have posted a HJT log and I tried to read "how did I get infected in the first palce" but before viewing the web page I got a window with Content advisor comming up saying that I cant view the Web page.. why did this come up and how do I get rid of it so I can read the page
burtlebee

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:43 AM

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Content tab. If Content Advisor is enabled then click settings and set it to accept whatever you feel appropriate for your computer and the users who have access to it. However, I think you will find that you can't get to Internet Options, or msconfig or regedit either as some malware programs will deny you access to those features so that you will have more difficulty removing or disabling them.

Start>Run>type in msconfig

Start>Run>type in regedit.

You might be able to get to Internet Options by going to Start>Control Panel or by going to Start>Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer>Control Panel.

I just looked at your HiJack log and there are some real nasties in there. Please be patient with our HJT volunteers. They will get to your log as soon as they can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users