Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Try Out Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wesran

wesran

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:52 AM

Would like to obtain a copy of the latest Ubuntu. Would like to try it out and see if I can use it, may need lots of help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

You can download Ubuntu and burn it to a CD or DVD or go to www.ubuntu.com and order a free copy. I received my FREE copy in about 2 weeks.

Recently loaded Ubuntu 8.04 in my budget build. Very user friendly and a breeze to install.

I'm sure you will find lots of help and advice here.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

BTW I think the latest stable version will be released in Oct.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download is the link for Ubuntu, You need to burn the iso to a CD. You can then you have the following options.
  • Use the CD to try Linux, nothing is installed the OS runs of the CD
  • Open the CD find the Wubi.exe installer which will install Linux through windows.
  • Use the CD to install and configure partitions.
  • Download a virtualisation software and use it to try Ubuntu.

Regards,

Alan.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

If you are not in a hurry, Ubuntu will ship you a free CD you can use as a live CD or install. Here is a link to get the free CD.
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login

Here is a link you will find handy.
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy

I have Ubuntu and XP3 set up as a dual boot. I was impressed with how easy this was accomplished and how Ubuntu booted right up with no problems on my system. Used it to install the drivers I needed in my XP to get it connected to the internet.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 wesran

wesran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for the help will give it a try and will probably be back for help.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 wesran

wesran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

Have downloaded and copied the ISO file to a CD. Is it supposed to be bootable?

#8 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

yea, just start the system with it in the disk drive. Unless you didnt burn it exactly right. you can use IMGBurn to burn the iso, works like a charm. Was trying to link but got something funky goin on with my copy/paste thing right now lol

#9 wesran

wesran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

Well it won't boot from the CD but can see the files on the CD. Am using a promotional copy of Ubuntu version 6.06LTS. I'm thinking of putting it in my windows machine just to see what will happen but I tired that a couple years ago with the 6.06 and wiped everything out on both hard drives so am a little leery.
I down loaded the 8.04.1 to my windows machine and then copied it to a CD, should that work? I used Nero. any and all suggestions welcome.

#10 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:58 AM

go into bios and set boot order to cd/dvd first

#11 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:19 PM

Did you burn the .ISO file as an image file, or did you burn it as a data disk? (When you look at the CD it should have a bunch of files on it, if you did it wrong there will just be the one ISO file).

#12 wesran

wesran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:00 AM

Did you burn the .ISO file as an image file, or did you burn it as a data disk? (When you look at the CD it should have a bunch of files on it, if you did it wrong there will just be the one ISO file).

Well after a few tries and help from here I figured out the Image v Data and was able to get an ISO on CD and am now trying to load it on an older machine and it has found 2 or 3 excuses for not being able to. Am able to run it as live CD so am looking it over but now need to find a tutorial on how to manipulate the system. Thanks for the help in my ongoing education.
wes

#13 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

What are it's excuses? Is it saying "the dog ate my kernel"? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users