Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Cd-key

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:35 AM

Last week I had to replace a damaged HDD and install XP on it. It was an OEM with a Dell machine, however this particular Dell may not have been the machine that OEM disk was paired with. I didn't worry much about it thinking that when I was prompted to enter the key, I would just enter the XP key I got off the old HDD from MagicJellyBean and see if it worked.

Now here is where I get confused. I was never prompted to enter a CD-key. :thumbsup: I'm just concerned that the machine will stop working/updating after 30 days or so without warning me. I checked online and this is indeed a "genuine" version.

My question, should I be concerned?

Edited by jhsmurray, 21 August 2008 - 06:35 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

Hello jhsmurray

I would not be than concerned I have had to reinstall the OS on this laptop 4 times using the XP CD supplied and it never prompted me for a key. If it is telling you it is genuine then it most likely is.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:10 AM

It has something to do with the Dell SysPrep image. Also, you may note that the key that Magical Jellybean finds may not be the same as the key that's on the certificate on the case - I've seen this with several Dell's recently.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users