Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:42 AM

:thumbsup: Looked at all the forums and couldn't find one that looked like it would be appropriate for my question so if you have to boot me then :flowers: go ahead my feelings won't be hurt!

Have McAfee & ran scan tonite...everything copacsetic (sp?) Sent me to a screen asking if I wanted to add security alerts to my site...different kinds of alerts & colors associated with said alerts....why would I want to add security alerts...is this going to confuse me even more than I already am? Is this just to alert me that a new virus, trojan, yada, yada, yada is out there? 'Cause if this is the case then I definitely do not want that. Don't think those kind of security alerts would pass as entertainment in my book. Rather bite my nails reading a scary book.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:49 AM

Are you referring to the Avert Virus Alerts?

The purpose of Avert Virus Alerts is to inform visitors of the latest information regarding threats that reach Medium or above assessment levels. To maintain the most up-to-date information, Alerts are removed once the initial concern has subsided and the public has been informed.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/alert.htm

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

Well, darn...it wasn't that 'cause I was careful to write it down. But I wasn't careful enough that now I'll have to hunt for it again unless I happened to bookmark it. It said Security Alerts and gave High, medium, low threats and then color coding and a bunch of other stuff. It asked where you wanted it in your taskbar and I was thinking last thing I wanted was more stuff to make me nervous. Where on this site is a good place to start, to learn what I need to know about security? I know that I need to read all of McAfee's info (which is substantial).

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users