Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows Xp On New Hdd And Norton 2003

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 expy86

expy86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:04 AM

I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop (four years old) that has been working flawlessly ever since I purchased it. The only problem I've encountered is hard drive space and recently purchased a WD 160GB HDD and an external enclosure. I've backed up my important personal files from my old hard drive onto the new one. I am now ready to switch the two and install Windows XP onto the new HDD.

My overall question is whether anyone has any tips to ensure I get most of my program settings saved/backed-up properly.

The most important question however, concerns my Norton Antivirus 2003. It expired last month and I have not renewed my subscription, nor do I plan on renewing it for some time. When I go to reinstall XP, how do I ensure that Norton 2003 is on my new install with the last updates I downloaded (July 16, 2008 -- I think). I wish to completely copy Norton exactly as it is right now.

Lastly, I'm completely clueless as to SP1, 2, and 3. Will these automatically install/update when I reinstall XP or will I have to manually find these online and install them.

Thanks for all of your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:08 AM

Rather than trying to install an expired copy of Norton I think you would be much better off installing one of the free anti-virus applications available such as AVG.

I would download a copy of SP3 and save it to a CD. Then, after you reinstall Windows you can pop in the CD and install SP3.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 expy86

expy86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for the fast reply.

As for installing Norton AV 2003 (expired), is there a way to back-up or save my last update? Unfortunately I have to have Norton AV 2003 or above due to school requirements. I just began law school, so I'm completely redoing my computer in hopes of getting another three years out of her.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:16 AM

You can update Norton manually by downloading the appropriate file from here. Although, I'm not sure it will work with an expired version, so you might want to try it out before you swap the hard drives.

Edited by Budapest, 21 August 2008 - 01:16 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 expy86

expy86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:17 AM

That's a negative. The idea behind the subscription/expiration is to allow/disallow updating -- even manually.

Thanks for the heads up though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users