Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long Connection Time For Laptop To Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:03 AM

It takes me 2-5 minutes on average for me to connect wirelessly from my laptop to my d-link dir-615 wireless router. Do you think the problem is incompatibility with my Realtek Wireless card? My desktop, which is wired to the lan port, works fine. I can play online games on my Nintendo Wii, without any problems; it is connected wirelessly. I have WPA2/AES encryption for my Laptop.

My laptop is a Gateway MX3410.
Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Hi rsd79, it could be a few things. First off, have you tried connecting to another wireless network with your laptop? Just to make sure your network card and/or driver isn't just slow on its own.

It could partially depend on the encryption format and key that you are using. For example, some systems connect more quickly to WEP than WPA so if you know that your computer connects quickly to other networks, you could try changing that setting.

#3 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

It sounds like you may have another wireless network in the area that is set as the 'preferred network'. The signal is just enough that the laptop tries to connect, but the signal may continuously bounce so the PC will lose visibility to the router, stop trying to connect, gain visibility, try to connect etc.

Double click your wireless card under network settings. Click properties and go to the wireless networks tab. Under preferred networks, make sure the one you are actually trying to connect to is first in the list. Get rid of any other networks that shouldn't be there.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users