Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis Backup Stopped Due To Full Hard Drive...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

Hi all.

I have been using Acronis True Image to do scheduled daily incremental backups of my system, but now it's stopped functioning and tells me the hard drive is full.

I've been backing up to an external hard drive (mobile desk) of 160GB.

The first backup I made was a full one of about 35GB.

I can't understand how incremental backups can use up so much hard disk space. I thought incremental backups only backup any changes or additions to files already backed up. These incremental daily backups have been taking about 30 minutes to complete every day -- which seems a little long to me.

I'm mystified by this turn of events.

What are my options? Wipe out the entire external hard drive and start again?

Thanks for any help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

You've discovered the downside of using an imaging tool as a backup tool - the amount of storage required! :thumbsup:

Things change constantly inside of Windows, and most of the changes are unseen and are within the largest directories on most systems. You can run this free program to get an idea of all the stuff that's going on: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...essmonitor.mspx These changes will keep the size of the incremental backups large, and 30 minutes is about the right time to make an image.

I would suggest saving the original image, deleting the incremental images, and creating a new image as of this date. Then, limit yourself to a certain number of images in case of disaster. I used to keep several, but now only keep one image with everything that I consider essential on my system.

Then, do your backups separately. I'm not familiar with the Acronis backup tool (having used SyncBackSE for many years) - but only backup the data files that you can't replace. Back them up daily and they'll take less space than an image will.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for your help, usasma.

Update: What I've done is keep the original Full Backup - and the last Incremental Backup. I've deleted all the other daily Backup files to create more space on my external hard disk.

I've set Acronis to continue doing daily incremental backups - which it is doing now for today -- but says it will take 1hr 15 mins. That's much too long for an incremental backup.

Edited by Bone Idol, 22 August 2008 - 12:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users