Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anine

Anine

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hi i just got a new graphics card from a friend (ATI catalyst radeon x700) and am trying to install it on my computer. I have uninstalled all the old graphics drivers and such from my old video card and tried to install my new one but every time i restart my computer with the new card in i hear the computer start and the graphics card start but no signals are sent to the monitor i cant even turn on the caps lock light on the keyboard). After that i tried installing the new software while the old video card was in but every time i tried it would say something to the effect of the proper hardware not being installed. I even tried downloading the new cards drivers with the old card in but i couldnt install them either. I was wondering if it was computer compatability or if i need a larger power supply or what do i need to do. please help me =) thanks for your time
Rawr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

It would be helpful if you posted the make and model of your computer, and what size power supply you have.
How "new" is the card? Did your friend use it before he gave it to you?
You said you uninstalled old card drivers, but did you remove the card from the computer? (if a card and not on-board video)

Start over from the beginning. Remove any drivers for any graphics card currently installed.
Remove old card, insert new one. Install the proper drivers.

If that doesn't work, maybe the card is bad.
Maybe someone else can help you more than I can.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

The card may also not be seated completely. Check to see if the graphics card fan is running on the new card, if it is not running it could be defective, underpowered, or not connected to the PC entirely.

3939.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

As suggested previously...it helps if we have some idea about what is supported by the system or the motherboard.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users