Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp 2008

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TOMTV8

TOMTV8

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

:thumbsup: Hey guys, thanks heaps for the info about this Trojan/virus I used the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as u suggested in the removal section... As I had tried several options given to me by my PC guy/Shop and nothing worked!! Was told that I would have to do a total reinstall of my system to be rid of it.. at a great cost!!!!
Now cn you suggest a good spyware program?? I have bought some b4 but my pc slowed right down. I used Nortons when I bought this PC, but then tried OneCare which wiped Nortons off.
I have been useing Defender as I thought this would protect me, but now no this doesnt.
I have been told PC Tools Spyware Doctor is good?? thoughts please??
Or does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware cover me in this erea?? I see that it can be purchased, so is this wats needed??

Cheers.

Edited by TOMTV8, 20 August 2008 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TOMTV8

TOMTV8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hi guyz, have come across one thing after the removeall of XP2008, Windows installer is still comes up with a fault.. Is there someway to repair/look to see wat the issue is??

Cheers

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

You can try this free utility to re-register the Windows Installer: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

I merged the first topic you started, Xp 2008, with the last topic you started, Xp 2008.
Starting 2 topics, about the same problem, is called double posting, and is not allowed on this board.
Please keep all of your replies in this one topic.
The members helping you, will be looking for your responses to their questions, in the topic they replied to.
Posting it elsewhere, will cause a delay in the help you receive, and neither one of us, wants that. smile.gif
When you start several topics, for the same problem, it becomes very confusing to follow, for all of those involved.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

:thumbsup: I have been infected with this trojan horse 2x in the past few days. I think there is a new source of infection: the pc cleaner ad or another ad on cyberdefender 2.0 free version. Cyberdefender itself works just fine. Just do not click on the ads in the upper right hand corner. Instead of getting a warning banner of infection and an icon in the lower right hand corner, you will get two antivirus xp 2008 icons in your start up menu--one to install and one to run. And be sure to run the full malbytes-ware scan. The quick scan caught 10 but missed 8 infections. I am running the free ware version so often that the company will demand that I purchase it--and I can't afford that, I'm on permanent disability.

I just introduced myself on another thread. I am very grateful for this site and hope to consult it often. Keep up the good work! Fuzzywuzzy6

#6 TOMTV8

TOMTV8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:18 AM

To Boopme, yep sorry bout that. I understand.
I have had a look at the Dialafix link, tell me before i run this...... there seems to be quite a bit involved, I have read thru the editorial. Can i just run the section that fixes the Windows installer?? or is it best to run the full list of fixes??? Any and all help is greatly recieved

Cheers Guyz.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

Just run the Installer fix.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 TOMTV8

TOMTV8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

:thumbsup: Hi again, have just tried running the dial-a-fix, the installerfix. This did not run and came up with the error:
Error: 2147220991 unable to register c\windows\system32\msi.dll

So is there something im not seeing or doing? or do I need a full reinstall of my system?

Cheers guyz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users