Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encryption

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mysterywriter

mysterywriter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

Hi - I'm new to the board so I hope this question is clear.
I have Vista Ultimate (don't ask!) and when I right-click on a folder, select Properties, check Encrypt, the Details button is grayed out so I can't put in a password. What do I need to do to get access to the Details button?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

I hope this link helps. As you know already, encryption is only off the shelf for VISTA Ultimate users.

BITLOCKER = http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v.../bitlocker.aspx

//edit: sorry, I missed the problem: I would use a restore point first, to before you noticed the problem.
Otherwise I'd reload the VISTA OS. Encryption on VISTA is very sensitive to anomalies.

Edited by KoanYorel, 20 August 2008 - 04:50 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

You can use EFS (Encrypted File System) on Vista Ultimate to encrypt files and folders. Both Bitlocker and EFS have limitations, you should look into these before using them.

3939.png

#4 mysterywriter

mysterywriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

Thanks to the responders. I know that Bitlocker doesn't work on my laptop. I can't believe I have to re-install the OS just to make this work. (Although given that it's Vista I know I shouldn't be surprised.) Does anybody know if Microsoft has a KB about this? I couldn't find one.

Mysterywriter

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

From what I know about BitLocker, you don't need to reinstall the OS. There is a prep utility that will configure your file system and create a second volume for BitLocker. Here's the link.

3939.png

#6 mysterywriter

mysterywriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the information and the link. On that page it says: "...you may need to initialize or configure the TPM before BitLocker can be enabled."

Of course, it doesn't tell you how to do that.

I wonder why they even put the Encrypt option on the Properties page if it doesn't do anything. Or does it work after you've figured out how to use BitLocker? Haven't read anything at all that this is true.

And I still don't know why the Options button is grayed out on the above page. This would seem to have nothing to do with BitLocker.

I give up.

Thanks for your help nonetheless.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:21 AM

For general encrypting of files, using EFS is a good less drastic choice. I find BitLocker cumbersome in setting up and using. Besides, to get the best level of encryption, you need TPM.

3939.png

#8 mysterywriter

mysterywriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

Thanks. I would like to use EFS but the Details button is grayed out and I can't add a password. How do I get the Details button back?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

The details button is largely unnecessary unless you want to allow other accounts to access an encrypted file. You do not need to create a password, the file is encrypted with a digital certificate linked to the user's account. This means that your user account should be protected with a good password. Make sure you backup your encryption keys. Here's some additional information:

Microsoft - Protecting Data by Using EFS to Encrypt Hard Drives
Vista Forums - Encrypt or Decrypt a Folder or File

Edited by DJBPace07, 27 August 2008 - 12:35 AM.

3939.png

#10 mysterywriter

mysterywriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users