Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how much to charge for a job

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 basel

basel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

hey folks, got a bit of a question here, i've just done abit of work for someone at the golf club were i work and do dot no how much to charge him. here's what i had to do.
he wanted files moved for a old computer with a unstable hdd to a new dell computer the filles in ? were scattered all over the place and packed with virises i had to go to his place twice, then he brought it to my place we i had the tools to do it, ie portible hdd cd re-writer etc.when he brought it here it would not boot (it did at his place) so i had to remove the hdd and connect it to a caddie so i could transfer the files i done this cleaned up the virises and now have to rebuild the old computer and see if it boots (hopefully) Big nightmare all in all i've spent 10 hrs and 2 grazed fingers i am new @ this (fixing other people's computers and have started to build new ones as well so watch this space) and do'nt want to charge to much remembering he is a member of the club were i work so he won't go telling other members and mybe lose abit of business but also don't want to charge to little and under price myself for the same reason. can any one advise.

Im in n/Ireland and in
I do not no how much 2 charge an hour

Cheers basel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 putasolutions

putasolutions

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

This isn't really a case of charging by the hour, this is goodwill and the amount of time spent on it would have paid for a new basic PC, (certainly at the prices I charge :thumbsup: ) . I think on this one, you will have to take a bit of a loss, though not a material one!!

Obviously, when you start to fix a pc, you can never tell how long it is going to take, sometimes it is 5 seconds, and sometimes it is 10 hours. You can understand why so many PC repair shops use a standard method (Format c:\ :flowers: ), (not that I agree with that method, before any one asks!!).

You will find that over time, you will acquire a stock set of downloads which you can fit on a cd, from various sources, and soon have a pretty good set of diagnostic software

A ballpark figure? Charge him 85 with a discount for cash!
Basically look at it this way, it has taken you a working day to get this brute back up and running. The thing is to know when it is more economically viable to just getting off all the necessary files, and starting again.

Edited by putasolutions, 20 April 2005 - 05:02 PM.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

I asked a pc guy to do this for me one time before I knew how he said 85.00 so I would charge him something like that.

That was also if I brought the pc to him 35 minutes away from my house and come back and pick it up.

I think 85.00 sounds fair dont you?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:06 PM

You have added many variables to the equation, since this is a special case. My best suggestion is to find out what others charge by the hour (look in the newspaper, etc..) and make adjustments for this instance from that average. Also bear in mind that your work turned out to be more complex than just a simple transfer of files, so your work was value-added; also that the user made at least one trip to bring the computer to you rather than your making a house call.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:23 PM

personally i would break it down into categories.
For instance.

Your gas used to get to his place - I donno gas prices there here i would be probably charge for a gallon $2.30 (you are doing him a favor)
Tools/Hardware/Software you used at his place - $5-10 (you paid for them)
Tools/Hardware/Software you used at your place - $5-10 (not including the equipment you used at his place - you paid for them)
File copy service from Old to new with your hardware- $25 (this could put your hardware/software at risk)
File Cleaning services - $15 (this takes time)
Computer rebuild - $20 (this takes time)
Booze to help you sleep at night - $40 (JUST KIDDING)

So this comes to $82.30 because i was kidding about the booze.
Keep in mind you are "new" to this and also keep in mind he could start your "Word of Mouth" so i agree keep it low.
Also "Word of Mouth" can be your friend or Enemy. Keep with the lowest cost you can for about a Month or 2 then raise it if demand gets better.
and another thing to note is i didn't put anything in for your time spent. but you should tell them what you did charge for.

call me stupid but i donno what 85 is in Dollars. so these are totally rough estimates.

Edited by LoLucky, 21 April 2005 - 02:25 PM.

#6 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

At the present the $ is only worth 50p or 50% of a Pound. So that would equal $170 which is a bit high. In buying power $1.5 is equal to 1.

I guess that a figure between 50 and 85 is OK. Trouble is people seldom realised how much work goes into fixing silly thing.It also depends on how much this guy can afford and if you want his goodwill in the future.

As a Guide a Technical Service Engineers Company will charge you around 50 to 75 per hour. A Main garage charges 75 to 100 for semi skilled labour per HOUR!!!.(Rip OFF I Know) A skilled Electrician around 25 per hour.

Edited by SaxonManFinland, 22 April 2005 - 09:19 AM.

#7 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

Your in ireland? But then you mean belfast right?
Anyway.... I would take about 5-10 for an HOUR thats a fair price i guess.....

Edited by virus, 23 April 2005 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users