Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Reinstalling

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hpfreak26

hpfreak26

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

Alright, I've had a bit of trouble when ever since I decided to reinstall Windows XP. (Due to DirectX and basic slowness issues) The first time I tried to just repair the installation, but once I restarted the computer to finialize, an error message displayed; "The file ab4aoezt.sys could not be found. Press any key to restart." Now, as far as I can tell from googling it, nobody has ever heard of this error, or even that file.

The second time I tried reformatting. (With a different disc) It all went fine, until the very last step. When it booted into Windows, it displayed the customary options:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last known good configuration
and
Start Windows normally.

All of those options result in a reboot, usually without any warning, within a few seconds. If I choose Last Known Good Configuration, a blue screen pops up for about 1/10th of a second, too fast to read.

Now, I have a linux partition, so I can access all of my Windows files. I just need to know what to change or check out so I can fix my computer. Help with either the error message or the bluescreen issue would be appriciated. Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hello hpfreak26,

I have never seen that error before. I would do a complete reformat using your XP CD then install a clean copy of XP.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

That's what I did... until the second problem happened. At least, that's why I tried to do. How exactly do you do a complete reformat with the disc?

Thanks!

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

You will need to boot from the CD you should see a blue background with instructions. Follow the instructions and select the 'format disk ntfs' this will then format the drive and start to install windows.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

I think I might delete any existing partitions that currently exist...before formatting/creating a new partition.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

#6 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Okay, I'm in the process of doing a clean reformat. I'll get back to you as soon as I finish. Thanks for the advice!

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

No problem, glad to help. Once windows has been setup, don't forget to firewall it and put an AV on.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

It worked. Thanks! Of course, within an hour of me setting up my new system, I screwed something else up. I'll make a new topic for it. Thanks for all your help.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:57 AM

Thats good to hear that the original problem is fixed. :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users