Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia: Online Software Inspector

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:33 AM

I have just started using this online software inspector, which is very good to have...although I have a problem when it says Java needs updating, and has a link for an update...then I go there and it says that my Sun Java JRE is up to date. This is very strange. It did this for both Firefox and IE. Also it said that my Macromedia Flash needs updating, and it is now owned by Adobe. I cannot find the files to delete them, and just update Adobe Flash Player. Any thoughts on this?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

I have had that same issue in all 3 versions I have tried. I have not found a fix. So I just added java to the ignore list and do it manually.

Maybe someone else has found a fix. I have not.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

I know its not a perfect solution but I have had this problem before and used http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/ to update flash to the latest.

The Java problem is most likely because there is an element of a previous JRE left behind. JavaRa should identify all superfluous JRE files and remove them. http://raproducts.org/
Regards,

Alan.

#4 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks, I will check into that!

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

No problem, glad to help. Let us know what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:10 PM

It found ten updates that needed to be done. It said some stuff that the other scanner did not. I am gonna install them later today, I have to leave the house for now. Looks like a great program.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

While the file hippo updater is a great tool, its catalogue of products is very limited.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

I have just started using Secunia PSI as it seems to be more comprehensive than FileHippo and on the first scan I got a 98% rating the 2% being it telling me my version of Java is v1.5. I know that I have the latest version of Java ie v1.7 as I installed it myself but the Java mentioned in the report is from a game I play called Football Manager 2008 from SI Games and this game has Java installed as a part of the game. I am wondering if this is what Secunia is picking up on?.

None of these programs are perfect I suppose. FileHippo told me everytime I scanned that a new driver v8.5 was available for my ATI Graphics installation but the final update for the card that I have onboard was v6.11 and the v8.5 one is for Graphic Cards that came out after mine.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users