Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird - Receiving Emails - Not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lulabelle

lulabelle

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:06 AM

Today I'm unable to receive my emails from my Yahoo.com address via Thunderbird version 2.0.0.16 (20080708) on computer running Vista. I am still able to send emails however. I'm worried that I might have messed with the options cos when I had a similar problem I changed the port numbers (as it told me to do in the Yahoo Help files) and it started to work. That time I changed the SMTP port setting to 587 and the POP port setting to 110 and everythings worked fine for the best part of a year. Today I stupidly went in, fiddled with the settings and can't remember what the original settings should be (except the ports which are still set as 587 and 110). Should the SMTP be "SSL" or "No"? Should the POP be "Never", "SSL" and/or should the "use secure authentication" be ticked? I don't understand what it means and I'm just totally confused.

Thanks
Lulabelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lulabelle

lulabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

Been out for dinner and on return it seems to be functioning Ok again, so it appears I didn't do any lasting damage.

Anyone who can explain what all this secure setting/SSL means would make me a very happy bunny. :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

SSL is like a "secret handshake" between your computer and a webserver that identifies the legitimacy of the site and prevents outside and unwanted interference with the communication between the two by using a common encryption (or codebook). Anytime you are transmitting sensitive material between your computer and a server, such as a bank balance inquiry, SSL is used to protect the information.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users