Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win2k Loses Internet Randomly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 james42519

james42519

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

i seem to lose internet randomly and the only way to get it back is restarting the computer. have win2kpro and intel pro/100 network card i think it is. this is a cable modem and it's connected directly to the computer. tried ip for google and it went to it. tried google.com and it won't go. tried going through USB and it did the same thing. tried another computer and it seems to not mess up. think it might be dns but i already changed dns to opendns and still did the same thing. tried IE, firefox. tried updating the driver for networking card. noticed that intel pro/100 boot agent 2.0 is loading when starting computer. that is about it i think. need to know more ask and stuff.
can look here starting at #20 too to see if there is anything i forgot. thanks for help.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic162070-15.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 james42519

james42519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

ok looked at event viewer and found some stuff. maybe i should have posted this under win2k.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: dnscache
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11050
Date: 8/20/2008
Time: 1:30:45 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME-LJSDIMGCMY
Description:
The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.
Data:
0000: b4 05 00 00 ...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event ID: 17
Time: 11:31:59 AM
Description:
RSM cannot manage library PhysicalDrive1. It encountered an unspecified error. This can be caused by a number of problems including, but not limited to, database corruption, failure communicating with the library, or insufficient system resources.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7022
Time: 11:34:04 AM
Description:
The Windows Audiosrvs service hung on starting.

Event ID: 7022
Time: 11:34:09 AM
Description:
The Bonjour Service service hung on starting.

Event ID: 7000
Time: 11:20:41 AM
Description:
The DameWare NT Utilities 2.6 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Event ID: 7000
Time: 11:20:48 AM
Description:
The Task Scheduler service failed to start due to the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

Edited by james42519, 20 August 2008 - 01:59 PM.

#3 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

Is your DNS manually configured or are you getting it through DHCP? If you're getting it through DHCP what is acting as the DHCP server? What address does that server set as the DNS?
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#4 james42519

james42519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

have no idea about all that dbough. i switched harddrives in that computer and put winxp on it and it never messed up again,. switched harddrives back to win2k pro and it messed up through Ethernet and the usb connection. has to be win2k i think since hardware seems to be good. the laptop mom just got with vista don
t have trouble too. as soon as she gets the stuff off she wants to keep guess i will install winxp onto it. thanks for help and sorry about not replying. live 4 hours away so can't just come over here. just posting to let people know what is going on and stuff i guess.

#5 james42519

james42519
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:38 AM

sorry about taking so long. i fixed the problem. all it took was installing winxp pro. for some reason win2k pro didn't like something about this computer it seems since tried going through usb and ethernet. also tried a few ethernet cards to see if it was that. it now works good or as good as a oldish computer can. no losing connection anymore or anything. this still don't make sense though to me how a os can do all this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users