Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defragment Broken?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MQ1

MQ1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

Hello I have problem with my disk defragment. It just happened out of no were and don't know where to start.When I click to open disk defragment the explorer page comes up in the box and says Navigation to the webpage was canceled. Mmmm I don't know how this happened either. I still have the defragment box but where it usally says defrag hard drive now it's a web page and at the top I still have file,action,view,help. Also to the left in a colume I have disk defragment.Anyhelp would be great. I don't know even where start.

Thanks
Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

To repair the Disk Defragmenter execute the following two commands:

• regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
  • regsvr32 dfrgui.dll
If the above actions didn't help, then right click the following file and select Install:

C:\Windows\Inf\dfrg.inf

Taken from: http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-defrag-repair.html

Bobang

in all things be men

#3 MQ1

MQ1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

Ok I excuted regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll succeeded but when I tryed to excute regsvr32 dfrgui.dll It says it is not a executable file and no registration is registered for this file type.

#4 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

Apply the same again and try the defragmenter after rebooting your system. If it still does not work, make sure that you have more than 15% free disk space - less than that you cannot defragment as it needs place to move and shift files. If that is not the cause you may look in on how your Virtual Memory has been set. Make sure it is set to " let windows manage memory or set it to atleast 2 times the installed RAM. After it works then return it to the default value of about "1.5 x Installed RAM". If you don't know how to set Virtual Memory (also Paging File) then look in here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/locating_the_page_file.htm

Now if that also does not help look in this article: http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/20.../18/defrag.aspx

Read this from the very start and go on reading the returned posts as almost all of these contain a different solutions which solved their problems with the disk defragmenter. Forget Microsoft, they have no solution for it as they too depend on their supplier for these services which is the maker of Diskeeper!

If you still have problems, post back and I am sure there is a solution for it. If you need to defrag real bad, simply download a 30 day trial version of TuneUp 2008 and let that do it for you till you find a solution to fix it.

Bobang

in all things be men

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users