Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kalysto

kalysto

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:12 AM

Hi all, newbie here! I believe my hard drive is a Seagate ST380011A. I've used 45.8G with 28.6G free.

I'm afraid I can't say exactly when I started noticing a problem, but it has been going on for a while now, and according to my event viewer all the way back to the start of the month, at least. It was very bad, constant errors, but now seems to have settled to every now and then again.

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block

I only seem to notice my computer freezing up due to this error while browsing the web, I updated to Firefox 3 a couple weeks ago, which led to the slow down in errors (or so it seems). I ran all the spyware/virus checks and nothing came up at all, apart from a couple cookies, unless it's really well hidden.

I would not of even suspected any problem other than spyware if not for the blue screen error I had during a defrag a week or so ago. It didn't seem to affect gaming (KOTOR2 or WoW), but I haven't loaded them up since it crashed.

STOP:0x00000077 (0xC000000E, 0xC000000E, 0x000000, 0x00030000)

I haven't run any other scans for fear I'll break something and not get the thing to start up again. :thumbsup:

Hope someone can advise! Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

Hello kalysto and welcome to BC.

It does look like a damaged disk, try http://www.hdtune.com/download.html (free version) and perform an error scan. Or use the manufacturers own tools for the drive. http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools
Regards,

Alan.

#3 kalysto

kalysto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:20 AM

Back again.

I ran HD Tune and ended up with 2 damaged blocks of 30mb each (0.1%). Will any errors mean a new HD?

Oops, forgot to add, the 'health' section gave me 2 yellow highlighted warnings..

[05] Reallocated Sector Count
(current) 63
(worst) 63
(threshold) 36
(data) 1513
(status) ok

[OA] Spin Retry Count
(current) 100
(worst) 100
(threshold) 97
(data) 0
(status) ok

Edited by kalysto, 20 August 2008 - 07:29 AM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

I had a similar problem a while back. My problem was that I had put my laptop down on the floor a bit harder than I should have :thumbsup: After 3 reformats and countless error scans and chkdsks I could not repair the damaged blocks.

I ended up buying a replacement drive.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 kalysto

kalysto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

Bummer! I figured that was the way but better to make sure. Thanks for your help.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

No problem, glad to help.

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm may be worth a read, I have never used it, but have heard good things.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users