Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Installs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:54 AM

This has probably been brought up before but I am tired and cranky from the whole computer upgrading ish and all today... I have to reinstall software now but I was curious... I have two hard drives and each has a separate installation of Windows XP Pro on them and every time it starts up it asks me to choose the installation I want to go into. So is there a way I can just go straight into the installation I want and not have to deal with the menu?

~ Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:24 AM

Hello Justin,

Is one installation corrupt? If so, you can go to start then run type msconfig and then you need to click the BOOT.INI tab and then select check all boot paths
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:58 PM

<<So is there a way I can just go straight into the installation I want and not have to deal with the menu?>>

Sure...just remove the other one.

Although I don't know what the purpose of having two installs of an O/S are if you don't intend to use one of them.

If you are asking if there is some "magical" way that Windows knows which install you might want to boot into at any given moment...not to my knowledge.

I guess that I don't understand your question at all.

Louis

#4 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

No, neither is corrupt. I had installed two of the same O/S because I got a new hard drive and it needed to be formatted before the original install of Windows XP would see the drive... basically I didn't know how else to do it because I didn't want to do all that fdisk stuff... but now before it goes to Windows it asks me which hard drive I want to boot up in. I thought there might be an easier way to get by it and go to the original install of the O/S, but if not I guess I could just uninstall it on the other drive.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

You will have to edit your boot.ini file (and find the correct one between the 2 installs of XP) to these 2 things:
1) Set the desired XP installation as the default
2) Set the timeout value to a low number (such as 3) so that you'll still have the option to get into the other one, but won't have to wait an eternity for the default to load.

Here's a link on how to edit boot.ini: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
Don't forget to backup the old one before making any changes!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users