Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Download Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ventuz

ventuz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:54 AM

Hello. I'm so frustrated with problem I'm having.

This is machine spec
Win XP SP3
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard
InsightBB (ISP, cable)
I don't think any other info would matter

The problem I'm having is download speed is extremely slow, speedtest.net says download speed is 100 kb/s and upload speed 950 kb/s, where download speed SHOULD be 8500 kb/s. It appears that it's only affecting this machine (other machine not affected). I have been having this for 3 days now.

Steps I tried to do was: I tried to power off, power on modem and computer. I tried to replace cord. I tried to use SFC /scannow and "error-checking". I tried to re-install motherboard driver. Nothing has fixed that. I tried several Tech Support, they thinks that I have spywares and downloaders. I checked with AVG and Spybot:SD, they both says no result. I think I may have removed ".exe" file from start-up, I may have been confused thinking it's a spyware or malware file.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tzzzboom

tzzzboom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:58 AM

I would suspect that maybe AVG and or Spybot are checking all incoming traffic. That would slow it down tremendously.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

Well...that website you quoted...looks like an ad to me.

I'd be more tempted to trust results from http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1 , a web site that is not trying to sell me something.

I'm somewhat curious as to how you arrived at your expected download speed.

Louis

#4 ventuz

ventuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

Ok, from dslreports.com

Download speed: 363 kb/s
Upload speed: 596 kb/s

What you mean by "how you arrive at your expected result" ? I have checked speedtest.net result before I started having this download problem, also I can see other machine downloading just fine, showing 8500 kb/s as download speed from speedtest.net but the other machine does not belong to me. I want to use this machine, I want to fix download speed.

#5 ventuz

ventuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

I tried to purchase network adapter card, it still does not fix, god. Please help here.

#6 ventuz

ventuz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

For some strange reason.. i was digging thru files to backup before reformat computer.. I noticed program I might try giving a shot was TCP Optimizer, I saw scroller was on "3000 kb/s" speed, I scrolled it up to 20,000 and then reboot computer. It somehow fixed, I don't know why computer decided to go less speed.

CLOSE please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users