Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Does Quicktime Want From Me?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

Thanks so much for reading!
Recently I tried to view a video on a website that uses quicktime.
This the video's webpage: http://www.fpmt.org/projects/seraje/default.asp

I could only get audio, which was good but the picture was just squiggly colored lines.
So I updated Quicktime and Firefox. Still no go. I emailed the webmaster who sent me another page to try, but it did not work for me.
So I searched this site and tried the following advice that is in quotes.

"Close any open browsers (this is mandatory). Open the QuickTime Player. Select Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences. Then click on the Browser Tab & click on Mime Settings at the bottom of the tab. Expand Miscellaneous File Formats by clicking the + sign on the left, & uncheck Flash Media then click Ok > Apply > Ok for the setting to be saved."

Sorry I don't have a link to the post that quote is from as I had to close my browser and did not think to save the page.
Anyway, now I just get a question mark over the quicktime video display when I try to play it. I restored the defaults and I guess tomorrow I will reinstall Quicktime.
But I feel I will still have the same problem. Does anyone have any advice on this?

I have noticed that most of the posts on this site are regarding no sound in quicktime. That is definitely not me.
I tried reading the help on quicktime but nothing seemed relevant to my problem.
Will registering change this?

Super thanks for any advice!! :thumbsup:
I hope I did not write too much, I just hate it when people don't fully describe their problem.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

Update:
I reinstalled Quicktime and I am still not able to play the video on the link above. Still get that same question mark over the quicktime logo in the popup play window.
To test if it was really quicktime or just that video I googled for other videos and played the first thing that popped up.
(This link: http://download.wbr.com/quicktime/muse.html )
It played, but with the pink and green lines over the picture as when I first tried to play the Sera Je video.
Is something wrong with my monitor or video card maybe? How do I find out what I'm supposed to have? When I downloaded Quicktime it said the requirements are Vista or Svc Pack 2. I'm using XP with with the service pack.
Thank for reading and thanks for any help you can give me.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:41 AM

This is not my area of expertise, but I would say it is more than likely a codec problem. You might need one that isn't installed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users