Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bonjour Installed Printers Do Not Work Correctly After The Install Of Sp3

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kae36

kae36

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

After installing SP3, my XP Pro machines could no longer print to my network printers. These were printers that were installed by using Apple's Bonjour for windows software. All of the printers are either attached to Airport Express network devices or are directly attached to the network.

The reason I can no longer print to the networked printers is because the "Bonjour way" of addressing the printer, which is printername.local, does not appear to map to a valid IP address or the lookup ends up failing in the print spool software.

The strangest behavior after the SP3 installation is that I can open a cmd window and ping the printername.local and get the address of the printer, but I can't use "printername.local" as the name of the printer in a printer port configuration. Bonjour for windows usually sets up printers this way, but after SP3 these printers could no longer be found by the print spooling system.

I don't really understand why the print spooling system is affected unless, which I suspect, the DLL files that came with bonjour are no longer compatible with an SP3 version of XP.

I could fix the printers with a static address and I might end up doing just that, but for now I'm ping'ing to find out the IP of the printer and then adjusting or creating an IP port for the address. It works, but it's a pain.

I've tried uninstalling bonjour and reinstalling, but that didn't work. At this point I'm wondering if I should abandon SP3 and uninstall it. My apple friends say that uninstalling SP3 fixed this problem for them, but I'm hoping that either microsoft or apple will fix their software, but I'm probably being too optimistic. I sent a "feedback" comment to apple, but I'm wondering if I should call the Microsoft SP3 help line and see if they know about the problem.

Anyone else have this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users