Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vr-3 Malware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mamasa

mamasa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

on my desktop computer (dell, running xp), I had tried to install software for a vr3 digital keychain. my computer then went blank, only showing the wallpaper, no icons or start menu. i hit ctrl-alt-delete and it said no applications were running. i have tried to search for the software in safe mode, but cannot locate it. i tried to delete something else, and it said that windows installer couldn't delete the program because i was in safe mode (i'm paraphrasing that). i ran my avg and found nothing, and ran ccleaner, and removed the stuff it found. i did a system restore, but that didn't help. eventually, the computer wouldn't recognize the keyboard, and i had to use the on-screen one. sometimes, i can't get online with it. any help is greatly appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

It appears to me the best choice here is to insert the XP Cd and boot from that. Then do a Repair install.

These are the best instructions I know of for doing this ...
Michael Stevens MS-MVP
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mamasa

mamasa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:38 PM

will that cause me to lose pictures, music, etc on my computer?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

A repair install should leave all your pictures, music, etc intact.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users