Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Got My Drivers License Today!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:03 PM

As the title implies, I got my drivers license today! The test was extremely easy, and only lasted about three minutes. It's so nice to have the freedom to go wherever I want! My dad even gave me his old car which is a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. It's a clunker, but the fact I have a car makes me extremely happy!

The bad news is how much this is going to cost me. Even though my dad was nice enough to give me the car, it needs a few hundred dollars worth of fixing, and gas is around $3.90 a gallon. Also, my dad put me on his insurance, and even with my 10%-15% discount for doing Drivers Ed this summer, it's going to cost me $1050 a year. Looks like I won't be upgrading my computer anytime soon XD. Still, it's worth it, and I just got my first real job, so hopefully I can pay for the car, and have a little left over to save and spend.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

This is fine news...a driver's license is all the rage nowadays!! Congratulations and have fun and drive safely.
(Now you can run your mum to the store!) :thumbsup:
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

Congratulations Sterling.
Do you make VERY good grades in school? If you do, ask your insurance company if they give good student discounts in addition to drivers ed discounts.
This is one of those things that a lot of insurance companies offer, but they don't tell you about.
I got a 10% discount when my son was in high school and college. While it didn't lower the rates dramatically, it did save me a few bucks.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hey good for you. Have agreat time and enjoy.
remember"Watch out for the other Guy"
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:15 AM

Congrats on passing the test. :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

The test was extremely easy, and only lasted about three minutes

Huh?

Congratulations though, driving is cool
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

Congrats. I remember (barely) how it feels to get a driver's license and the freedom it implies. As you are finding out, it can also be a very big burden.
Just be very careful, and watch out for the other drivers.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

Please be patient and understanding when your parents seem to be worried about turning you loose without them in the car. It's the nature of parents to worry about their children, escpecially when those children start driving. Be careful, earn their trust, show them that you are a resposible driver.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice! I'll drive safely.

I swear the needle just likes being close to E. :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

Congrats Sterling14!

On your way home tonight, could you stop and pick up a few bars of Snickers for me?

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#11 lilachamster

lilachamster

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

Congratulations!! Enjoy!! :flowers:

The test was extremely easy, and only lasted about three minutes.

That's very short. Are driving tests usually that quick in the US?

gas is around $3.90 a gallon.

OMG you don't know how lucky you are..... it is 110.9p a litre in the UK, that's $9.29 US a gallon :thumbsup:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I used to think I was indecisive.... but now I'm not too sure

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

gas is around $3.90 a gallon.

OMG you don't know how lucky you are..... it is 110.9p a litre in the UK, that's $9.29 US a gallon :thumbsup:

I would love to get a car, the cost of the upkeep is the only reason for holding back.
Regards,

Alan.

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

"gas is around $3.90 a gallon."

Wow! Once gas gets over $5 here, which probably won't be long now, I'm going to stop driving lol. Next year it's suppose to be around $7 a gallon when here in New York minimum wage is $7.15 an hour. So you can work a whole eight hour day, just to fill your tank.

The driver's test here is pretty easy. I think it's because in New York, once you turn 16, you can't get your license, but must first get something called your learners permit. This means you can drive as long as the person sitting next to you is over 21 with their full license. After taking a 5 hour driving course, which you don't drive in at all, and telling the state you have driven at least 20 hours, you can take the 3 minutes road test, lol.

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

The driver's test here is pretty easy. I think it's because in New York, once you turn 16, you can't get your license, but must first get something called your learners permit. This means you can drive as long as the person sitting next to you is over 21 with their full license.

The UK has a similar setup, when you get to 16 you can apply for a provisional driving licence where you are allowed to drive on the roads if you have an experienced driver supervising. Once you are confident in your abilities you can then take 'the test'. You need to sit down and do a written test with questions on the highway code and rights of way and stopping distances, (its really strict, a couple wrong questions and its a fail).
Then you have to do the road test where an instructor will ask you to perform a series of everyday manoeuvres. Once all that is done you can then apply for your full licence.

There were talks of upgrading the system some more, so the above may have changed slightly.
Regards,

Alan.

#15 Jonathan C

Jonathan C

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

As the title implies, I got my drivers license today! The test was extremely easy, and only lasted about three minutes. It's so nice to have the freedom to go wherever I want! My dad even gave me his old car which is a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. It's a clunker, but the fact I have a car makes me extremely happy!

The bad news is how much this is going to cost me. Even though my dad was nice enough to give me the car, it needs a few hundred dollars worth of fixing, and gas is around $3.90 a gallon. Also, my dad put me on his insurance, and even with my 10%-15% discount for doing Drivers Ed this summer, it's going to cost me $1050 a year. Looks like I won't be upgrading my computer anytime soon XD. Still, it's worth it, and I just got my first real job, so hopefully I can pay for the car, and have a little left over to save and spend.

Be careful do not lose it like I did, I got arrested for Street Racing about a year ago lost my license for a year and paid a heavy fine.

REMEMBER DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE , NOT A RIGHT!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users